Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty washer, Type 111, that doesnt

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty washer, Type 111, that doesn't always spin the clothes dry. Sometimes I have to run 2 or 3 rinse loads before it works. I replaced the timer/switch assembly and that did not work. Is this electrical, as in the motor doesn't kick in to high speed, or mechanical?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the timer still advances to the end but it just won't spin the clothes?

When it should be spinning, do you hear the motor running like it should be spinning or is it completely silent?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The timer advances to the end and spins the clothes sometimes.

When it does go to the end I believe the motor is running although it might just be the pump.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok well the pump is attached to the main motor so it will only drain out if the main motor is running. That being said, this means that your clutch is slipping. You'll need to order and replace the clutch in order to correct the issue. The clutch is only about $35 or so but it's located above the transmission so the transmission needs to be removed in order to access and replace the clutch assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't accept the answer till I replace the parts and see if that solves the problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
that's up to you, but this should fix your problem.