Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Dryer timer is not advancing

Customer Question

Dryer timer is not advancing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 2 years ago.

Does the timer advance on Auto but not timed or not at all on any setting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is not advancing in Automatic Regular, which is the cycle I always use.

I have not tried Automatic Permanent Press

I have not tried Timed
Ok two things start a cycle with the vent hose off and watch the timer for 5 minutes does it advance?

Second try a cycle on timed dry for several minutes and watch the timer does it advance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the 2nd thing first, cause it's easier to set up - I tried the timed dryer for about 5 minutes - yeah it's advancing.

I will try the automatic regular cycle with the vent hose off the dryer now.
Ok great if its advancing on timed then you have a clogged vent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but if vent is clogged, why airflow outside house is strong?

are there multiple vents in parrallel? and one can cause problem?

this is internal venting?

what to do next?
You may think it feels strong but its not enough. You have a clogged vent for sure your dryer is working correctly if it advanced. You need to have a professional dryer vent cleaning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to close on this, I tried the auto regular cycle with the hose off the dryer - it does not advance.

So I guess that still sounds like internal venting problem.

I will have to arrange professional dryer vent cleaning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGIG8Wo5-N4

This link is a do-it-yourself for disassembly and reassembly

but doens't talk about vent cleaning

if I do this disassembly, would I be able to easily clean the internal venting myself? or is this the wrong way to go about this... better to get an expert vent cleaner...?
The vent in the wall needs to be cleaned if you have air flow out the rear of the dryer. If the vent is over 10ft its best to hire a vent cleaner.

Pressing accept pays me for my time thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you said "the bent in the wall needs to be cleaned"

but when I took the hose off the back of the machine, the timer still didn't advancein automatic mode... what does that have to do with the vent in the wall???

I thought we had already decided the problem was in the venting inside the machine... not in the wall... if so, wouldn't disassembly allow me to clean the inside myself? or is this a dead-end?

sure I want to push "accept" but we need a resolution first
If the timer did not advance in auto then the timer needs to be replaced.

If you have air coming out of the back of the dryer there is no need to take it apart its a dead end.

Like I said if the timer did not advance its bad. Order and replace the timer friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you are switching your answers now....

original problem was timer didn't advance in auto

but you had me try in timed and it advanced there

you had me try out the venting etc

now you have gone back to the timer...
Yes I didn't realize you said it doesn't advance in auto. You have a bad timer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
doesn't advance in auto was the original problem
Yes but I didn't know that it does in timed... You have a bad timer friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you if still needed. If so can you please send me the model number or your unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes tahnks

Whirlpool LE8650XWW0
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Replace your dryer automatic cycling thermostat, this is what sends a signal to the timer to advance, if this advances in time dry then the automatic thermostat is bad, there is a link below to the video on how to replace this, you can also order the thermostat there for $22.70. I hope this clears it up, thanks, Bryan

thermostat replacement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This looks right on, I'll rry it and update this in a couple days, hopefully this will solve the problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay , let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,

I received the new timer in the mail, and replaced it.

I thought that was a very good suggestion

But same problem exists.

I'm not 100% sure I got the 4 terminals in the right order... is there anyway to double-check that? Or what should I try next...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it wont advance even in timed cycle? you can really mess up the wires on this there are two smaller terminals and two larger ones it doesn't matter which way they go.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the 2 small ones are matching the 2 small terminals and the 2 large ones are matching the 2 large terminals... so if it doesn't matter which way they go, then I should be okay

it doesn't advance in auto cycle still, and also is still advances in timed cycle like before

I think in timed cycle it advances but doesn't shut off though - I tried using timed recently and I had to manually shut off

so if the thermostat doesn't fix it.... someone mentioned to me that maybe one of the heating elements is bad....?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay it is the timer then. the timer has contacts inside that are bad, if it heats it should advance, is it heating ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's heating, clothes dry okay, but it keeps running

and remember, it does advance in timed mode - but not shutting off in timed mode

in auto mode it's not advancing

changing thermostat seemed to have no affect at all, surprisingly
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yeah I know but I was going a lot on what was said between you and the other techs so I went with my best instincts on what I see go to most, at this point however there really isn't anything else that would not allow the timer to advance or shut off when it's supposed to accept your timer. I did not see it mentioned anywhere and all the posts or any of the posts where the timer did shut off, so I guess that kind of threw me. At any rate you are going to need a timer unfortunately, the part he replaced was a thermostat not the timer, sorry for all the confusion, this is the timer, but I have real bad news, everywhere I've tried says the timer is no longer available, I will give you the part number however and you may be able to Google it and find one. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.