John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

norcold refrigerator will not stay on more than 12 hours, it

norcold refrigerator will not stay on more than 12 hours, it will always light when switch is turned off, then back to gas. model #6162, Ser.#106135GRGKB4. was new in 1994. ???? Altitude makes no difference, works same low or high altatude. I have cleaned orifice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Does the fridge shut off in the AC mode, as well?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not tried that. I started the fridge in the AC mode, then when fridge cold, I moved to gas. I will have to leave on AC mode for more than 12 hours to honestly give you an answer. Where I park is in a location where there is no AC hookups.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Please post back to me, when you find out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had my fridge on AC for 13 hours with no failure. I strongly believe that the fridge cooling fluid is OK, the problem is with the gas cycle Each time the warming fridge calls for more cooling, the electronic ignition starts but, for some reason the auto opening of the gas valve either does not work or the ignition is faulty. When I find the lighted "check X" is lit, I can easily start it by switching the gas switch to off, then back on, where it will most of the time stay on, but will eventually go off 10 to 12 hours later, usually in the night. Wind is not an issue, because while traveling there is no problem. Also I have checked the 11 wp on the gas presure, it is OK ?????
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you. Check to make sure the manual shut off valve handle is parallel to the gas supply line(fully open). If it is, check the burner flame to see if it's a the proper height, and bright blue. If that's OK, check to make sure all the electrical connections in the gas circuit are clean and tight.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done all you suggested. My only question is, how much trouble is it to repalce the thermostat ? Through process of elimination that is all there is left. Will changing the electric board help ?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Before replacing the control board, replace the temperature sensor that's located in the interior lamp fixture. The part number is XXXXX and you can buy it at any Norcold authorized servicer(most RV dealerships).

It's much less expensive, and it's easier to replace if you cut the wires, leaving enough to connect to the replacement part with small wire nuts.

If that does'nt solve the problem, you'll need to check the connections on the control board. If they're clean and tight, you'll then need to replace the control board.