Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a gsh22jsta side by side fridge. The motor for the ice

Customer Question

I have a gsh22jsta side by side fridge. The motor for the ice auger did not work. I took out the motor and found a bad solenoid WR62X58. I replaced it and forgot how to hook up the wires to that andthe motor. There is an orange wire that has two connectors (I think this should go to the motor). Then there are two black wires, one has a white line on it. I hooked up the black wires to the solenoid. Is this correct?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Well the way to tell is to push the light switch in and then the paddle for ice and see if the auger motor turns, if it doesn't turn in you hear a clack that means you have them backwards in you energized the solenoid for the crushed/cubed , I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for this but haven't had any luck yet, but the like I said its not going to hurt it to try the paddle and then you will know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put the ice bin in and tried the ice dispenser with the door closed. I didn't hear any movement at all. Are the black wires for the solenoid?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I was just looking at a picture of the auger motor but its in black and white so i cant tell the wire colors, trying to find a wiring diagram.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I think I got it, you should have a silver wire and an orange wire it may be off-color silver but those to go on the solenoid then the orange wire also has another orange wire connected to it I think that's the one that goes to the auger motor and the last wire that's left goes on the auger motor also, so the orange wire splits I believe and one goes on the auger motor and one goes on the solenoid,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a orange wire that has two connectors and looks like it's run together in a loop. Then I have two black wires, one has a white line on it,

Are you saying that one of the orange wires conects to the motor and the other to the solonid? then which of the black wires connects to the solenoid? it sounds like this is one circuit with Orange being the power and black being the groung. Is this correct?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay sorry I just got back from break, one of the orange wires goes on the motor and one goes on the auger in the one with the white line goes on the other side of the solenoid in the last wire black one goes on motor, let me know if that works, the orange wire is really like to ground or the neutral wire the other two one with a white stripe goes on the solenoid in the last wire on the motor that should work, if by chance when you press the panel in after doing this that you hear a clack but the motor doesn't run switch the black wire in the silver wire in other words put them on the solenoid in the motor in reverse, but I believe the way I laid it out is no work just fine, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try it and get bac to you in 45 minutes
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, we're close. It dispenses ice, but it looks like it;s 'crushed'. When I push crushed on the front, nothing happens. So does anything in the wiring need to be changed?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I don't think the wire needs to be changed but I can't be sure the diagrams a very vague on the wiring, make sure the rod that's on the bottom of the auger that goes to the back of the freezer wall is in the right position in the middle of that plastic square piece that is connected to the solenoid, sometimes if you solenoid is up or down when you put the auger in it won't work it has to be in the middle of that's where plastic piece, so take your auger out and check that solenoid part make sure it is either stuck up or down make sure the plastic square piece will except the rod from the auger assembly, let me know if that doesn't work then try changing the black wire in the black and white wire from one to the other solenoid to motor and see what that does, leave the orange wires the way they are, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I did verify the solenoid works and the rods in place. This unit is in my rental property, so I can't check it until tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

I know the same motor does standard ice and crushed. How does it do both?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That Rod that I mentioned is pull down by the solenoid and it changes the position of the crusher blades in the auger itself and that's how you get crushed ice, please don't forget to press accept and even after you press accept you can come back for up to 30 days if you have more questions, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, I'm going over now to change the wire. When I leave the ice tray out, depress the light button and activate the front door the solenoid activates and pulls up. Iet you know the results.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I will be here thanks
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, final wiring positions; Orange and black with white strip on motor. Plain black and second orange on solenoid. When I push the cubed button, the solenoid activates. When I push the crushed button, it doesn't activate. So I assume that when the lever in the back of the ice tray is lifted, that's for cubed and visa versa.

I still seem to be getting crushed out of both modes. So if you have any suggestions on what might be causing this, please let me know. You've been a great help and I'll accept your answer now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so at least we got the motor running in his dispensing it is although it be all crushed, it seems to me either the rod is bent that goes from the front of the auger to the back and into that hole or there something broken up in the auger itself which is the ice container part, that you would need to take apart and check