Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Sears Kenmore side-by-side fridge Model 106.53562202.

I have a Sears Kenmore side-by-side fridge Model 106.53562202. I live in Greenwich, CT, and we lost power during this past week's Hurricane Ilene. When the power came back on the fridge side worked, the cold-water dispenser works, and the ice maker works, but the ice dispenser does not work.

When I press the dispenser lever the little door that opens to dispense the ice opens, but the auger in the ice bin does not move.

I have tried the following:

1. Made sure the dispenser button is in the "Unlock" position.
2. Emptied the ice bin, removed all the frost, made sure the auger-shaft interface was clear of any frost, and the the auger tuned freely by hand.
3. Turned off the fridge, waited 5-10 minutes and turned it back on.

Please advise me what I need to do to get the ice dispenser to work again.

Thank you,

Bruce Wennerstrom XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

do you hear any noise comming from the auger motor at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Brian:

There is no noise coming from the auger motor at all.

Also, with the ice bin full, I have made sure that the half-moon shaped cubes are loose and not frozen into clumps. I believe the problem is that current is not getting to audger motor, probably because the electrical signal is not being sent, but I rely on your expertise to diagnose the cause.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay do you have a voltmeter ? If so you need to open up the auger container area below with the ice auger sits and test power to the auger motor, you will need to push the light switch in to test this then pushed the ice button paddle in while testing for voltage, let me know if you get 110 V to it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Bryan asked me a question, but it is impossible to reply to him, because when I click onto the "Reply to Expert" button I am simply returned to the top of the page and am unable to reply to the question he asked in his answer. This web site isn't working.
Bruce Wennerstrom
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I received this reply. can you try again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan -

I don't have a 110V voltmeter, but I can go out and buy one. However, in looking at the exploded views of the freezer section in the parts lists, I would have to disassemble the freezer door, at a minimum, to gain access to the auger motor. Then, depending on whether there is current at the motor, you will have to advise me on the next steps to take, and possibly what parts to buy. Further, I have reservations about my ability to take that assemble apart and put it back together again correctly.

Since the ice dispenser was working before the power outage, isn't there a program for rebooting the system? I know when my copiers or computers go down, it's always a matter of a series of commands I can get from tech support to get things running again, and I was hoping for that sort of guidance. Please advise me if this is feasible.

If the disassembly route is the only way, then it will be easier for me to just call for a Sears service man to come and fix the problem.

Bruce Wennerstrom

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well this doesn't have a reboot as such, his eyes taken the door apart this can be a pain, and also the auger motor has different wiring so you would have to test two different wires to see if you're getting 110 V to them, some of these augers have a access panel underneath with two 1/4" screws that you remove to take the cover off the other type comes out to the top, the diagrams a very vague on this so I can't help you there but if you think you can't do this you don't want to make and mistakes and screw something up so you may be better off calling for service unfortunately, I've seen people get in over their heads more than once and I hate to see that happen to you, even as technicians we usually have to figure out how to take them apart because they change so much from refrigerator to refrigerator and from year-to-year.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.