John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Today my husband put a plastic bag from the grocery store on

Today my husband put a plastic bag from the grocery store on the stovetop, not realizing one burner was hot. The mistake was discovered almost instantly, but some pieces of plastic appear to have bonded to the cooktop, even after thorough cleaning with the recommended glasstop cleaner. Can you suggest any method or product to restore the cooktop to its original surface?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Turn the burner on to the low setting, and when the plastic residue has warmed up, scrape it off gently with a putty knife. When most of the plastic is removed, turn the burner off, and let it cool. Scrape the rest of the plastic off, and clean any remaining residue with laquer thinner. Make sure to have adequate ventilation when using the laquer thinner, and no other heat sources on.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I will try your suggestion and let you know about results and payment, probably tomorrow. Is that acceptable?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Thank you.