Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 25 year old Whirlpool Quietwash dishwasher. Lately

I have a 25 year old Whirlpool Quietwash dishwasher. Lately it makes a very loud droning noise about 30 seconds after it starts which lasts about 30 seconds and then it does that at 3 or 4 intervals throughout the wash. I think it coincides with the initial wash water intake and the rinse cycles but I'm not sure. Its really loud and the downstairs neighbors have mentioned it.
Is is worth hiring somebody to look at a dishwasher this old?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

While most likely it's got something to do with your pump, these pumps tend to growl loudly until the water gets in and starts quieting down because the water dampens the sound,this pump however is $152.00 plus you're looking at labor which is probably another hundred dollars in at that point you're almost as much is a new dishwasher, I would consider buying a new dishwasher rather than repairing this one but that's entirely up to you, most people opt for a new dishwasher when it gets over a few hundred dollars for the repair, hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan