Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a maytag preforma model pav3360aww that screams when

I have a maytag preforma model pav3360aww that screams when it begins to spin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

The first thing you need to check since you already checked the belt is the pump, these pumps are famous for failing and make a lot of noise in the spin, if you tip the machine back and look under where the belt is the pump will be on the right side I believe in the back on yours role belt off and move the pump back and forth by hand, does it make any noise or feel like it's scraping?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doesn't spin free like a wheel but doesn't drag or scrape
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay when you say it doesn't the spin freely how do you mean? Is it real tight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no spins like it has a rubber boot on it
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, sounds like your pump is seizing up and you will need to replace it, it shouldn't be that hard to turn these pumps turn very easily, so of course when it goes into spin it's going to make noise, Maytag has redesigned these pumps, this is the pump you need, and you can order it at the following link, if you take the little back panel off behind the machine you can reach the bolts and the hoses to remove this, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I be sure it isn't the trans or a bearing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well that would be the next thing if it wasn't the pump, it's really hard to tell, but from what you're telling me it seems like the pump is to tight, try removing the pump and look inside make sure nothing is in it, it's difficult to tell if it's the bearing because you really can't test that, although these bearings can go, but we do a lot more pumps then bearings, and these bearings are quite a job and most of the time you damage the threads on the transmission trying to remove them and cannot put the new one on, also there are special tools required like a spanner wrench, it's a special tool to remove the Bearing assembly, I wouldn't recommend that job, take the pump out in check it for obstructions inside and also put it up to your ear while you turn the pulley. That's about the only way you can tell to be honest, thanks, Bryan