Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We lost power last week for 2.5 days. Since then the ice maker

We lost power last week for 2.5 days. Since then the ice maker is not making ice. We've tried turning on the quick ice, no fix, raised the temp in case the line was frozen, and raised and lowered the bar above the tray. The model # XXXXX XXXXX serial # XXXXX The refrigerator is a French door type with freezer on the bottom.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you tell me what position the fingers are in on this ice maker? Is it nine o'clock 10 o'clock 11 o'clock or so on ? Have you seen them move at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fingers are not visible
Okay that's not good, it means the ice maker has stopped mid cycle, the fingers are probably stuck down in the ice or if the water when it just stuck in the down position, are you able to jump start this ice maker if I told you how? You will need a piece of wire about 4 inches long and stripped off about three quarters of an inch on each end, do you think you be able to do that? If so I can tell you how to jump start this ice maker to see whether it will run or if the ice maker is completely shot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Okay , get a piece a wire and strip it back three quarters of an inch on each end and pop the front cover off the ice maker. The white square plastic cover on the front. Then you will stick the wire being careful not to put your fingers on the bare part of the wire in the holes marked T and H on the front of the module. They are in about the five o'clock position on the front of the module, see if the ice maker starts, let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should we leave the wires in? There is some noise coming from the ice maker but nothing else is happening
Okay no pull the wire, look in the very center of the big white gear and tell me if the two tabs are intact that hold the gear on. You can see them in the picture. Tell me if the gear is loose. Be careful if the gear falls off there are electrical fingers behind it that are live
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The two tabs are intact. The gear seems fine. We heard water running to the unit
You heard water running to the unit but did not see the fingers come up ? Or move?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the fingers came up and the ice bar dropped
okay good, this may have just got stuck, it should make ice now. let it run, it should drop a load of ice in about 1 hour. good job. thanks Bryan