Anon-aabbcc
Anon-aabbcc, Appliance Technician
Experience:  12+ Years experience
59233469

I have the Unlimited Questions so I have another question regarding

Customer Question

I have the Unlimited Questions so I have another question regarding my GE Nautilius Dishwasher. 2002/2003? Model GSD4800G00WW
I have not used it for approximately 3 months or more. It worked just fine and the last time it was used it went through the entire cycle but did not DRAIN the water. We put Limeaway in there to see if it was a calcium build up and see if that would help it to drain. It did not. My husband ended up having to suck the water out with his garage vaccuum. We have hard water as we have to replace our Hot Water Heater elements once a year at least. Did have to clean coffee pots all the time and went through a few until I started using Cullingans bottled water.
So I guess my question is: how can we fix the dishwasher without calling a repairman?
Will work with Dan T. if he knows anything about this appliance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
When its suppose to drain do you hear the pump kick in? Do not use any more chemicals in the d/w,you just might have messed this up totally, we will see though. Is this hooked to a disposel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Disposal.

Only put the lime away in the water that did not drain 1 time. Turned it back on in a little while and still did not drain so he vacd the water out, Have not done anything since, Except to hand wash dishes.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
When its suppose to drain do you hear the pump kick in? Tell me do you have city water? Or well water? I will be here for awhile on the holiday we can carry on then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO, we don't think the pump kicked on. Cannot be for sure since it has been awhile and we have not tried it since.

We have community well water.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Remove the strainer located at the back of the tub (4 screws remove w/ 1/4" nutdriver), then unscrew the check valve and inspect it. See if its worn tell me what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure if I took off the right thing. I took off the strainer thing in the middle where the water drains to. I found a cup like thing there with what looks like goldish colored WAX on it. Not sure if its was or maybe a grease build up. I am not sure if I need to take that cup thing out or not, not sure where the check valve is or what it looks like. There is another thing in the very back of the tub that does have 4 screws in it, 2 on the side and 2 close together. I may have taken off the wrong thing so let me know I guess.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I have unscrewed the back strainer thing with screens in it. I see a little white thing in it that moves but I cannot get hold of it to screw it out of there. Not sure how big it is supposed to be or how to get it out to tell if its worn or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK my hubby went in and got the check valve out for me. He is not feeling well so I was doing it.

Got it out and it does not appear to be worn to us.

Betty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I replied back to you but I was in a big rush had to go pick up my grandaughter from practice.

I know I wrote you but I am not sure if I sent it to you.

I am not sure what the check valve is supposed to look like, it looks fine to us and it goes up and down with the spring in it. Is there somewhere I can look up that part to see exactly what its supposed to look like.

Where do we go from here?

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

here it is here,also do you have a volt/ohm meter? We can test the drain selenoid. i will get a picture for that one too. The second picture is the drain selenoid.

Main Product View

Drain Solenoid Kit - Part #271344

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We do not have a volt/ohm meter. If it is not too expensive we can probably go buy one if it is necessary. I cannot enlarge the selenoid to see what it looks like. Where is the selenoid located? Is there another way to test it or check it?

The check valve looks like what we have. Where would it show to be worn?

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

Let me see if i can get a breakdown for you. Okay.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK.......

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

If you take off the lower access panel in front you should be able to see the drain selenoid you have to start this up and run a cycle. You should be able to hear the selenoid click over. Checking one more place.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

Its number 497 on this diagram.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

You could get a meter to test the volts coming from the timer going to the selenoid and if your getting 120 from the timer then more than likely its the selenoid. You can still ask me questions.

Please press the accept button this is how im paid for helping you today. Thanks.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK where or what number is XXXXX timer going to the selenoid so if we can get a meter to test it?

Are you talking about the panel under the door to take off to see the selenoid and timer? If it is a bad selenoid, where can we get a replacement, do you have a website from where to order parts from?

Can we run a wash cycle with the strainer off, I have it and the drain strainer both off, or should it be put back on first?

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

Put everything back as it was okay. Once you take the toe kick panel off you should see the selenoid, do you need a better picture? If you get a volt/ohm meter get a digital one there only about $20.00 or so. Timer is on top selenoid on the bottom I will give you the place to buy it if that is whats wrong with it.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Sorry i will be back in 1 hr i have to go to physical therapy, If you want another expert tell me otherwise i will be back,thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will wait for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I am checking if you are back.

I put the drain and stuff back inside the tub. I took the bottom panel off and started a china crystal cycle and my hub said I should of put on a longer wash cycle. so I restarted it on a light wash cycle. We could hear the water draining like normal. It made a noise when it started a click or whatever where the selenoid is. I think the silver battery looking thing went down and then back up, not for sure. Is the timer the little white plastic thing with like a needle and space to slide? Hubby said he thinks it had moved.

I am waiting for the cycle to end and see if the water drains or is still That was when he put some lime away in and then ended up sucking water out with VAC. Maybe this is all you need to know for now and then when it stops I will let you know if it drains all out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cycle finished and we could hear it draining each time for the rinse to start and the selenoid seemed to be fine. It went down when draining and back up during each drain and start during cycle.

I opened the door when the cycle finished and went to the CLEAN for the finish. Water still standing in bottom, approximately an inch.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Ok so before it didnt drain at all,is this correct? The timer/control that is where all your selections or cycles are. I really think its the piston/nut thats what you took out and i showed you the picture of. P.T.didnt go good sorry im late. Tell me how you got your drain hose ran please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it is still the same thing. It did drain before until at the end of the cycle when the wash was done is when it does not drain all out. It is standing full in the bottom but we can hear it draining all throughout the cycles.

We have no disposal, have a double sink and the drain hose runs over to the sink closest to the DW. It runs to the top and over down to the drainpipe. It has always been this way, never have moved or bothered it. Does not appear to have any kinks anywhere and we hear it draining through the wash and rinse cycles very strong.

I took out the check valve, the same thing that you sent the picture of, identical to it. Did not take out anything else except the plastic drain cover and the plastic drain cover and check valve in the back.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
This is strange im still here
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Do this for me run a cycle and during the first drain open it up tell me is there is any water in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I get back to you later, we have to leave for a couple hours. Is it ok to just put the cycle on China & Crystal to do this with might go through faster. I may have time for that right now it would not take as long.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I put it on the China wash cycle and when it sounded like it finished draining I opened the door and it was all drained out. I stopped it there before it started to fill up again.

Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

That was the first drain right?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Is there a blinking light by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, just solid lights. i have to leave will let you know when i return
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are back, I had to go finish watching grandaughters softball game and we have returned home. If you are there I am ready to see if you have figured out anything else on the DW. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I have to leave soon for a big part of the day but thought I would let you know whats up this morning.

I locked the door and it started up so I guess it was finishing up the cycle from the China wash I did and stopped it after it drained the first time. It sounded like it was filling and rinsing I guess and the light was blinking. Then it quit and I opened the door and it has water standing in the bottom again. I did not see CLEAN but I opened the door when I thought it finished. Then I locked it back and nothing. The Crystal China light came back on but I think it automatically goes back to the last wash it was on. Now its all off and has water in the tub.

Expert:  Anon-aabbcc replied 2 years ago.

HI thanks for choosing Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX check valve you had out, there is a rubber dome looking piece that moves up and down, this piece seats up against a solid plastic piece and does not allow water through it, if it looks like its not seating or there is holes in the rubber or the rubber is chewed on edges and alows water through it will not drain, please recheck this and get back to me thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean, I am sorry but I have been gone all day today and then had to get dinner when I got home.

When I took that check valve out it looked the very same as the picture that William had sent to me. Did not appear to be worn anywhere or chewed up on any edges and my Hubby said that rubber dome was in real good shape but said that he will take it out if necessary and re-check it. The only thing I seen that could be wrong was just a very tiny bit of calcium and it actually fell off of it.

We can hear it drain when its done with a wash cycle and then a rinse cycle or whatever the cycles are. It is the last cycle I guess is rinse, that is when it does not all drain out. Is it suppose to be about an inch of water left in the tub or should it all drain out? I just don't remember it having that much water in it before. That is the only thing wrong, is the last water cycle stays or else it refills again. The first cycle drained out and refilled and drained and a third cycle filled and did Not drain.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thought on my last reply to you, it said you were ready to answer back to me but I did not receive anything. I am not going to stay on all night so hopefully we can get together in the morning, I should be home most of the day. I am anxious to find out my problem, or IF its really a problem, or IF its supposed to leave water in the tub at the end. I surely do not ever remember seeing it in there before.

Thanks,

Betty

No shouldnt be any water in there, from what your describing even though the check valve looks like its in good shape i would recommend changing it, this is a very common problem and an inexpensive part, i would try this first and see if the water doesnt disappear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where can we order this part from and do you know whare I can find the part # XXXXX does the Model # XXXXX care of that?

When I took off the bottom kick panel I did find a small white thin plastic washer on the floor. I have no idea where it came from or if it even came from the DW. Could have been anything and been there a long time, it was underneath on the floor.

WD24X220 is the part #, you can order this at local parts or anywhere online if you do a search for appliance parts you will find several the top 3 or 4 work great, just type in the part# XXXXX they will ship it to you, if you live near big city they usually will have several also. I wouldnt worry about the washer probably came off the toekick possibly its not important.
Anon-aabbcc, Appliance Technician
Experience: 12+ Years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had to go to the doctors for my hubbys check up, forgot about that. I am gonna go online and try to find a place to order that part, check valve. If you have a bebsite for me to order from I would appreciate it. If not I can find somewhere.

I sure hope this is our problem if I go on and get this part. I have not check it out yet to see the cost but I know it will be cheaper that a repairman.

Thank you Sean.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Sean, I have ordered this part and it will be shipped tomorrow, Fri. We are going out of town on Sat. so it should be here by next week sometime and will put it in and hope this solves the problem.

It is called a piston nut on the parts invoice so I am assuming it is the whole thing together, Check valve/piston nut. It was only $10.82 and & $7.25 for shipping.

I will let you know when it arrives and get it put together and try it. I will be glad to tell you that it is working right and draining.

Betty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Received the Piston Nut thing on Sat, out of town, but got back yesterday evening and put in this morning and ran DW on Light Wash with a few glasses and it seems to be ok. Opened door when finished and CLEAN light was on. Most all water is gone, just a little is left in there by the drain. So I guess that is normal. It didn't look any different than the old one but I guess it is worn and we just don't see it.

Betty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the little bit of water left in the tub by the drain normal. It is not all over the bottom like it was before?