Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

How to open jammed door on Whirlpool Gold Accubake oven

I have a Whirlpool Accubake Self cleaning oven. The door is jammed and won't open. What is the best way to un-jam it?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.

Do you mean that the door lock is holding the door shut?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don’t know if it is the door lock as didn't even realize the stove had a door lock. It seems like it’s hung up in the middle of the top of the door.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.

That sounds like your door is still locked then because that is where the door lock is located. Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit seconds to see if it will reset. If not, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will WD-40 help keep the latch functioning; now that is open? If not how do I replace the latch?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.

I wouldn't use WD40 it's flammable, but you can use something like graphite lubricant or some other thick grease like they use on cars if you wanted. Often times you just remove the top panel or remove the vent panel across the latch assembly to access and replace the latch assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, the coat hanger trick will do.