John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

LG Refrigerator/Bottom Freezer. Making a loud humming noise

LG Refrigerator/Bottom Freezer. Making a loud humming noise from back. Red stain on floor when we pulled out refrigerator. Can it wait until Tuesday for repair or is there emergency repair available.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The only components that might hum are the compressor(stuck motor), and the condenser fan motor. If the compressor is running normally, and the fridge is cooling properly, it's safe to continue using it. If the compressor is not running, you should remove the power, until the problem can be diagnosed.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The humming has stopped, and is cooling properly. The red dried fluid underneath fridge concerns us - losing coolant? Is coolant this color?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If there was a refrigerant leak, the refrigerant would turn into a gas and disappear, leaving no residue. The compressor could be leaking oil, but I'm not sure what color the oil is. It's best if you call a local refrigeration servicer to see if they know.