Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

I have a Whirpool WHER25 RO Undersink unit. Recently, I am

I have a Whirpool WHER25 RO Undersink unit. Recently, I am getting a lower water flow from the faucet after about 1 liter, even though the 2 gallon tank is full. The flow slows to a trickle. I have recently replaced the filters WHEERF and WHEERM5. I followed some other instructions on measuring the pressure of the tank and attempted to maintain the recommended flow rate of 35-40 PSI when the faucet is on, but the pressure drops to below 10 after the first liter of water. Any ideas what the issue could be?

I have replaced this unit twice in the last 3 years and would have to have to replace an entire unit once more.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 2 years ago.

Francis :

Hello, What is happening is that the pressure has been stored when the unit was not used but actually, one of the filter or the membrane itself needs to be replaced.

Francis :

To trace which part is defective, here is the diagram of the water flow. Please click the blue word. To see if the problem is in the pre filter and the membrane, close the saddle valve and open the tap to release the pressure. Now, slowly remove the yellow tube that is connected to the tank. Get some rags ready to catch water that would overflow some how. If there is a great pressure still on the tank, then the post filter is the problem.

Francis :

If the pressure on the tank is already low, then the problem is either the pre-filter or the membrane itself. You can verify this by completely removing the yellow line, put it in a bucket and open the saddle valve. Watch how strong the water that is coming out of the yellow line. If it is slow, then it is the pre-filter or the membrane.

Francis :

It would be hard to distinguished which of the two since they are connected together. If you can separate them, use a hose and do the same test. Use the green line as the water supply, connect it to the pre-filter and open the saddle valve, if water is great, then the membrane is the problem.If it just trickles, then the pre filter is bad.

Customer:

I have replaced both the pre filter and the post filter - the pressure is still the same (high for 10-15 seconds, then slows to a trickle). I have also replaced the membrane. Verified that the tank is still full, followed your steps to remove the yellow line - water did come out under pressure. Do I need to repressurize the tank? What next steps do I need to take?

Francis :

Hello, You do not repressurize the tank. It is the pressure from the line that would be pushing the water from the tank. When you removed the yellow line from the tank, then open the saddle valve, water from the yellow line is under pressure but, did you remove it all the way out of the fitting? If not and you just felt there is a lot of water gushing out, then please do it again,. close the saddle valve, open the tap to release the pressure that is on the tank, then slowly, remove the yellow line out of the fittings, then get a pail or a bucket and put the yellow line there. Then open the saddle valve and observe if the water flow is great and if it will not slow down after a few minutes. If it slows down, then it could either be the pre filter or the membrane. If it does not slow down even after 2 minutes, then the problem is in the post filter. If the cartridges are new, then it has something to do with the housing or with the water lines it self. There could be a kink or a blockade. To test, you need to pull each water line and blow on them to make sure there is no blockade.

Customer:

I removed the yellow line all the way from the tank, opened the saddle valve. The water was trickling out and had no pressure behind it. The cartridges are new, so I am assuming the issue is with the housing or the water lines. At this point, is it easier to just replace the entire unit rather than troubleshoot each piece? Your advice is appreciated.

Francis :

Ok. That is why I was stumped when you said that there was pressure on the yellow line. I suggest, you buy the exact same unit, then you have a spare tank, faucet and the mounting would be the same. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .