John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

How do I reset my Maytag Washing Machine

Customer Question

How do I reset my Maytag Washing Machine?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

There is not a reset on it. If you tell me what happened maybe we can work together to get you fixed up.

Customer :

This has happened before when the tub goes off balance. Previous repairman fixed the reset

Robert :

Pull the tub forward completely. Close the lid, open the lid completly and then try it again.

Customer :

OK I'll try it

Robert :

Have the lid closed when you try to run it.

Robert :

Let me know if that resets the off balance switch.

Customer :

Do I push the tub back to center or leave it forward?

Customer :

Tub has water in it

Robert :

Leave it forward. It will rebalance itself.

Customer :

Nothing is happening

Robert :

Ok. Sounds like the lid switch broke OR the fuse popped. It will need to be replaced. Do you want to try the repair yourself?

Customer :

No and I don't feel that is the problem as water was going in it before.

Robert :

The water is full correct?

Customer :

For a small load and now the water does not come in at all

Robert :

I was factory trained on these units and when the lid switch fuse pops on it then the unit just stops. No agitation, no spin.

Customer :

We didn't have the agitation or spin, but before we started your suggested moves, we did have water coming in when we increased the size of the load. Now, nothing

Robert :

It will fill with water until it hits the level it is meant to be at. If you scoop out the water and then try the water again it should come back on.

Customer :

we

Customer :

We will try the scooping and be back with you

Robert :

Ok.

Robert :

That will not correct the agitation or spin problem though.

Robert :

Here is a pic:

Robert :

34 is the lid switch assembly. 5 is the agitation switch and 16 is the spin(cherry) switch. 10 is the fuse. If the fuse is popped then 5 and 16 don't get power and this stops all motor function. The water valve will still operate but only until it reaches its fill point.

Customer :

We took the front panel off before emailing you and now can't get it back on. Would this have anything to do with our problems? We're still bailing.

Robert :

The front panel being off won't hurt it.

Robert :

You can bail until the water is half full and then try to start the washer again. It should fill but won't agitate if that switch is bad.

Robert :

Make sure the lid is closed when trying it.

Robert :

On the same pic you will see the off balance assy that stops the unit. It is number 31. Number 11 is hit by a metal bar on the tub topper when the tub gets out of balance and it springs loose from the lid switch and stops the unit. That is why you pull forward on the tub first and then open and close the lid.

Robert :

Let me know what happens so I can get you info you will need.

Customer :

We've done the bailing, and redid your proceedure, and the water fills up and then nothing.

Robert :

Ok. You will need to replace that lid switch to correct your issue. It is not a hard repair. Are you sure you don't want to do it yourself?

Customer :

Is there a specific part number I'm looking for and do I take the top panel off to get at it? Where would I find this part on an holiday weekend?

Robert :

The part number is 22001682. You will need to see if any local appliance parts/service store is open. They almost always have this part in stock. The control panel with the timer on it is the only part you will have to remove.

Robert :

It has 4 screws on the top and you will need to remove the 2 innermost screws to get it loose. The control panel will then lean forward and lift off so you can lay it down. The lid switch will be right there in the middle.

Robert :

You will have to remove the 1 screw on the switch and lift it out. Transfer the wires to the new switch and slide it back into position. Put the screw in but do not tighten it all the way. Pull the switch assy forward until it clicks and then let it go back about 1/8 of an inch. If it clicks again, you went to far. Once you have it perfect, hold it in place with one hand and tighten the screw with your other hand. Open the lid about 4 inches and the switch should click. If not, try to reset it again until it does the click noise when the lid is open around 3-4 inches.

Robert :

Does that sound like you can handle it?

Customer :

In calling around, there are no parts stores open until Tuesday, and we're not sure that is the problem. We are not satisfied, and please don't bill us in the future. The Dunns

Robert :

It will fix the problem. I don't bill you, Justanswer does. I don't get paid until you click accept. I have disabled the accept button and I hope that when the unit is fixed with the part I recommended that I can get an apology from you. Once that happens I will enable the Accept button and hope that you will pay me for my time and expertise. I have been doing this for 18 years and majority of that time was spen working on Maytag units just like that one. I hope you have a great weekend.