John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

How Do I Reset A Maytag Washing Machine?

Customer Question

How do I reset my Maytag washing machine?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

There is no reset on it. If you tell me what happened maybe we can work together to get you fixed up.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : This has happened before when the tub goes off balance. Previous repairman fixed it with a reset.

Robert : Pull the tub forward completely. Close the lid, open the lid completely and then try it again. Have the lid closed when you try to run it. Let me know if that resets the off balance switch.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : Do I push the tub back to center or leave it forward?
Tub has water in it.

Robert : Leave it forward. It will re-balance itself.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : Nothing is happening.

Robert : Ok. Sounds like the lid switch is broken or the fuse popped. It will need to be replaced. Do you want to try the repair yourself?

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : No and I don't feel that is the problem as water was going in it before.

Robert : The water is full correct?

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : For a small load and now the water does not come in at all.

Robert : I was factory trained on these units and when the lid switch fuse pops on it then the unit just stops. No agitation, no spin.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : We didn't have the agitation or spin but before we started your suggested moves, we did have water coming in when we increased the size of the load. Now, nothing.

Robert : It will fill with water until it hits the level it is meant to be at. If you scoop out the water and then try the water again it should come back on.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : We will try removing the water and get back to you.

Robert : Ok. That will not correct the agitation or spin problem though. 34 is the lid switch assembly. 5 is the agitation switch and 16 is the spin(cherry) switch. 10 is the fuse. If the fuse is popped then 5 and 16 don't get power and this stops all motor function. The water valve will still operate but only until it reaches its fill point.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : We took the front panel off before emailing you and now can't get it back on. Would this have anything to do with our problems? We're still bailing.

Robert : The front panel being off won't hurt it. You can bail until the water is half full and then try to start the washer again. It should fill but won't agitate if that switch is bad. Make sure the lid is closed when trying it. You will see the off balance assembly that stops the unit. It is number 31. Number 11 is hit by a metal bar on the tub topper when the tub gets out of balance and it springs loose from the lid switch and stops the unit. That is why you pull forward on the tub first and then open and close the lid.

Let me know what happens so I can get you info you will need.

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : We've done the bailing and redid your procedure. The water fills up and then nothing.

Robert : Ok. You will need to replace that lid switch to correct your issue. It is not a hard repair. Are you sure you don't want to do it yourself?

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : Is there a specific part number I'm looking for and do I take the top panel off to get at it? Where would I find this part on an holiday weekend?

Robert : The part number is ***** You will need to see if any local appliance parts/service store is open. They almost always have this part in stock. The control panel with the timer on it is the only part you will have to remove.

It has four screws on the top and you will need to remove the two innermost screws to get it loose. The control panel will then lean forward and lift off so you can lay it down. The lid switch will be right there in the middle.
You will have to remove the one screw on the switch and lift it out. Transfer the wires to the new switch and slide it back into position. Put the screw in but do not tighten it all the way. Pull the switch assembly forward until it clicks and then let it go back about 1/8 of an inch. If it clicks again, you went too far. Once you have it perfect, hold it in place with one hand and tighten the screw with your other hand. Open the lid about four inches and the switch should click. If not, try to reset it again until it does the click noise when the lid is open around 3-4 inches.

Does that sound like you can handle it?

JACUSTOMER-1uo26a3s- : I'm calling around, there are no parts stores open until Tuesday.

Robert : It will fix the problem. I have been doing this for 18 years and majority of that time was spent working on Maytag units just like that one.

I hope you have a great weekend.