Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I have a Maytag Centennial Dryer and it is not heating. I

I have a Maytag Centennial Dryer and it is not heating. I checked the continuity on the heating element and it seems fine. Could it be the thermostat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

Can I have the model # XXXXX should be inside the door.

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MEDC400VWO
Do you have the back off ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, and I removed the heating element. I tested it for continuity and it seemed fine.
Ok on the left attached to the blower housing is the thermal fuse. It is white about two inches long by a quarter inch wide. It has two wires going to it. Remove the wires and test it for continuity.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fuse seems fine as well.
Does it have continuity ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes. it does have continuity
Ok put the wires back on it. Do you know how to test for voltage to ground ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no. but willing to learn.
What you do is remove one wire from the element. Put one lead from the meter to the wire the other to ground. Which would be any metal surface. Turn the dryer on and check for 120 volts do this with both wires. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they both read at roughly 120.
If they both get 120 then the element is getting the correct amount of voltage. So this means the element is bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tested the voltage on the fuse, should I have been testing on the element. I will try that now.
That is what I said to test was the wires at the element.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
both are getting about 118.
Then the element is getting the correct voltage. So the element is bad and needs to be replaced.

Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience