Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 30 built in GE oven that has begun turning off automatically.

I have a 30" built in GE oven that has begun turning off automatically. It will reach the set temperature, stay there momentarily and then turn off. When I turn back on, the top broiler comes on. It is a touch pad oven. Someone told my husband we could select certain buttons and the oven will tell us a code for what is wrong. Do you know if that is true. Oven is about 10 years old; not used that much.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

If the oven has been turning off automatically and is not showing a code than the control itself has failed, these are made to automatically send a code if there is another issue, I'm not aware of any buttons you can push to bring a code up in this particular oven, they are all automatic so this means your control has failed, you will need to replace it, however it's best to have a technician do this because the new oven control for this particular oven the wiring is different and can be difficult to replace, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan