Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Hotpoint side by side refrigerator-freezer, model

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint side by side refrigerator-freezer, model HSS22GFTAWW, Series GM2427394050893. The coils in the back of the freezer become covered with ice. When this happens, the temperature in the freezer and the refrigerator goes up no matter how cold I set it. When I remove the back panel of the freezer, defrost the ice, and reassemble everything, the refrigerator-freezer works fine until the coils become covered with ice again. What causes this, and what do I have to do to repair the refrigerator-freezer so that this doesn't happen?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

This is an extremely common issue on these and GE has redesigned the heater so this doesn't happen again, these refrigerators had a single heater in them but GE found that they were failing so they redesigned the heater system with two glass tube heaters, if this is never been changed in your refrigerator you will need to change it, it's at the very bottom of the coils you defrost, it's a pretty simple repair and since you had the back off already you shouldn't have any problem placing this, here is a link to order the new heater system for yours, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10101/1399613?modelNumber=HSS22GFTAWW there is also a video there that shows you how to test the heater you have now if you have a volt meter but this is definitely the issue, we replace a lot of these, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want my money back unless you have another answer. I purchased the part you recommeded because it made sense. I put it in and thought the refrigerator was fixed. However, the same thing happened. The coils are again covered with ice. Do you have any other suggestions? This is aggravating!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
did you defrost the coils completely before you installed the new heater?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I did. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
how long did it take for it to totally frost over again ? did you put the back panel inside the freezer back in after you put the heater in ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I defrosted the back and let the freezer remain open until there was absolutely no moist or water on the coils. Then I replaced the back panel and thought it was fixed, but it isn't . What else could cause the trouble. The fan runs.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
oaky and its completely frosted over again ? I mean totally through the coils? sorry for all the questions just want to get to the bottom of this, if they are totally frosted how long did that take since you replaced the heater?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are totally frosted again Worse than ever. I don't know exactly how long it took. I replaced the part the day after you first told me to do it. Must be two weeks. I'll have to look on the date of your first reply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
did you get the heater wired correctly? have you seen the heater come on at all since you opened it back up? do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't seen the heater come on since I turned the refrigerator off before I took off the back panel. My son has my volt meter, so I will have to get it back to test the heater. I'll get back to you later. Incidently, my son's name is Bryan also.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Thats fine, let me know when you get one from Bryan, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm back. The reading was 27.5. Any other suggestions.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

sorry we keep missing each other, the heater is fine as I thought it would be being new. do you think you could test the defrost thermostat ?

this needs to be tested cold only, its has to be cold to have continuity, you will need to cut the wires to do this, don't cut them top close to the thermostat so you can reconnect them if its good. this is clipped to the top of the coils, unplug the refrigerator first. let me know if its good.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still am unhappy. I have been in and out of town so I didn't have time to check the defrost thermostat. The refrigerator worked as long as I removed the back panel and defrosted it. I removed the back panel tonight and checked the thermostat. It has continuity. What do I do now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

are you putting the back panel back on after defrosting this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am putting the back panel on. Is there any way that I can tell if the heater is really heating?