Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

I have a 1997 BX21 frig. Problem is the vegetables freeze in

I have a 1997 BX21 frig. Problem is the vegetables freeze in the produce drawer. Turning the temp. dial lower in the frig. section did not change anything. Temp. in the produce drawer this morning is 30 deg. Your help will be appreciated

Gary
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 2 years ago.

Neilwill :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer! If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know.

Neilwill :

Did you turn the humidity controls to the lowest setting?

Neilwill :

If the humitity is high there will be freezing and perhaps ice under these circumstances.

Neilwill :

This is usually an air flow problem. There is a kit called Tank Freeze Kit # XXXXX that will contain some foam strips and permagum. Use these strips and permagum to plug any air gaps behind and around the crisper. This kit is available at www.searspartsdirect.com . Also make sure the freezer temperature is not getting too cold (below zero degrees).

Neilwill :

Had the same Amana bottom fridge model my self until two years ago. Same problem. This works.

Neilwill :

Great fridge

Customer:

My wife had the controls on hi humidity and I just now put them on low.

Neilwill :

This still may not help!

Neilwill :

This is a syggestion that can help but if it still happens you will need to buy the kit for $12.00 at www.searspartsdirect.com

Neilwill :

The controls work in some cases but I still had the problem and needed the kit.

Neilwill : Water tank f

PART NUMBER: 12002776

$12.60

In stock

Customer:

I will go to the Sears site and order the kit , install and wait for results. Thanks, Gary

Neilwill :

There are no other solutions and it works.

Neilwill :

Check the temperture in your freezer is not below 0 degrees too.

Neilwill :

The cold air in a fridge comes from the freezer and then supplies the fridge!

Customer:

Freezer temp. is 5 deg.

Neilwill :

This is usually an air flow problem. The most common cause for this is the air control (# XXXXX in picture) is allowing too much air flow. The damper inside is not closing.

Full Size Image

Neilwill :

I started you out first with the simplest solution.

Neilwill :

If all fails then the damper may be stuck open

Customer:

I just checked the damper and it is closed and works freely so it sounds like the kit is the direction to go.

Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation