Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our Whirlpool Conquest GD25DIXH800 freezer quit working yesterday.

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool Conquest GD25DIXH800 freezer quit working yesterday. The fridge seemed OK but not cold. This morning the freezer is working great again. The only change I made was to turn both to coldest about 12 hours ago.

What could this be?

Erik
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

The first thing you need to check is the condenser coils in the back near the compressor in the bottom, pull a refrigerator away from the wall take the cover off the covers the compressor area in check to make sure the coils are clean and free of dust, the next thing you need to check is the fan next to the compressor is it running ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fan is running, compressor is warm and very little dust on coils.

Fridge is warmer than it should and freezer colder. I have turned freezer thermostat a little higher.

Erik
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, open the freezer door and look behind your food at the back wall is there any Frost on that wall and all? Is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fan is running and no frost on wall. freezer is extremely cold now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Either your damper assembly is bad or frozen or the a return at the bottom is frozen, the damper is part number 15 on this diagram, you return is part number four on the diagram, what you will need to do is take the damper assembly apart in the top left corner and check that see if it's frozen or stuck, if it is clear in air is flowing through it then you need to check the bottom air return into the freezer, this is best done by removing the back panel inside the freezer behind your food and it will be at the very bottom right between the freezer in the refrigerator, you definitely have an air flow problem and you need to defrost any ice or Frost in these holes, this will take care of your issue, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan:

What do you mean by: "will be at the very bottom right between the freezer in the refrigerator"

in:

this is best done by removing the back panel inside the freezer behind your food and it will be at the very bottom right between the freezer in the refrigerator

air is flowing into the freezer on top behind the ice-maker. Does it flow out from the bottom rear opening and then into the fridge? I do not see a direct connection between the freezer and fridge wall.

I do see a small roster in the left bottom fridge wall and no air is coming out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay all your cold air comes from the freezer there are no coils in the refrigerator that get cold the fan you hear in the freezer blows air through the top of the freezer in between the freezer and the refrigerator section through a damper which I showed you on the diagram, you need to remove the cover over the damper in the refrigerator section to check that, then the air flows down and back into the freezer through a return vent, to really check the return then you need to remove the back cover inside the freezer, part number 17 on this diagram, once you have that cover off at the very bottom where you can see the grill holes in the cover on the right side between the refrigerator and the freezer section there is a return air vent, it's hard to say but you will see it once you get the cover off, this is probably frozen preventing airflow from circulating from the freezer to the refrigerator section and back into the freezer section, you need to clear that with a hairdryer or whatever you have to warm up any Frost or ice and that hole,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan, this is Erik again. I may have spoken too soon. The temp in the fridge is 50 degrees now. I blew hot air from the freezer to the fridge and vice versa and air came out. So blockage seems to be gone. We had a 12 pack of Coke standing in front of the airflow vent in the fridge but with the 1/3" horizontal spacer on the vent the vent could not have been blocked completely. Let's see if the freezer holds its low temperature today. What next? Will setting the freezer to coldest reduce the temperature in the fridge too, or will this increase the temperature in the fridge since more cooling energy is used for the freezer? Erik xxx xxx xxxx
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure where you're at right now but it's about eight o'clock Eastern standard Time you now and checking to see if it's come down and temperature at all, if it has been set the settings back to halfway on each of them and leave it overnight and let me know tomorrow how it looks, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fridge still at 50 degrees but it feels cool. home is at 78 degrees. Will see if it comes down further in the AM. I thought fridge had to be 40 degrees but this is quite cold.

Thanks

Erik
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay