Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE freezer moel # XXXXX built in 2004. It worked

I have a GE freezer moel # XXXXX built in 2004. It worked fine up to 2 weeks ago when it stopped. When I plug it in and turn up the knob, it comes on for about 20-30 seconds then shuts off. Is there a switch or control that may be defective? I live in bush Alaska and either I fix it or dump it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

well there are a couple of things that could have failed, first do you hear the compressor clicking or buzzing about every 3-5 minutes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is Jim. No, when I turn it on, it sounds like everything is fine, but shuts off after 20 seconds.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
So you hear the compressor start? And then it runs for about 20 seconds and shuts off? Does it restart after say 5 or 10 min. or does it stay off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to run home and plug it in and see.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay let me know when you get there, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I plugged it in and turned it to the coldest setting. It came on for 3 seconds, went off for 3 minutes, came back on for 3 seconds, went off for 4 minutes, then came back on for 3 seconds.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, we can eliminate the cold control, if your problem is going to be the compressor relay or the compressor itself, the relay plugs onto the side of the compressor, it's this part right here, it has a capacitor that's piggybacked on the relay, so it looks a little different when it's together, if you replace the relay and it does the same thing unfortunately your compressor is shot, here is a link to order the part, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/WR08X10033/0046/363?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=WR08X10033 hopefully it's just the relay that's gone, most likely that's what it is because you probably last power and when it came back on it blew the relay, this happens a lot, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to order a capacitor or just the relay?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Just the relay, the capacitors never really fail, I don't think I've changed four capacitors in 10 years, the relay will take care of it as long as the compressor itself has not failed, you can't tell if the compressor has failed unless you change the relay unfortunately, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan