Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have an UltraSoft 180 that has quite softening. I have the

I have an UltraSoft 180 that has quite softening. I have the owners manual and have gone through the diagnostics. I get an error code 01. Cleaned and checked the wiring assembly and plugs. Cleaned the Venturi and checked the flow valve per the manual; it reflects water running thru the system.

I have a steady time indication; all others flash. Holding down RECHARGE NOW produces a series of rapid beeps.

I'm pointing toward the motor/valve assembly. The motor does show a DC resistance so it's not open. Diagnostics 000---

Your thoughts? The motor/valve assembly does not operate no matter what I try.

Thanks!

Mark Durenberger XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

Try un plugging the transformer for a few seconds, then back on to reset it and see if it helps. Also make sure the micro switch that signals the controller is actually doing it's thing, you should see the cycle advance as the motor valve goes through the different stages of regen. Could be a bad switch or wire harness. Un plug it a re seat the harness.

Customer:

Did all that. The valve (and the cam that operates the microswitch) isn't moving. I did unplug and re-seat all the harnesses.

Craig :

The motor valve is failed or the power to it. Do you have a volt meter to see if it's getting power? Should see 28 volts AC to run.

Customer:

Tried that; thanks. It's there.

Craig :

It's a bad motor valve then

Craig :

If the power is there to the motor and it's not running it's bad

Craig :

At the motor leads.

Customer:

WHOOPS my bad. There is NO 28 volts AC at the molex plug feeding the motor. Sorry...

Craig :

Trace it back to where it's coming from on the controller

Craig :

It could be a bad controller not powering the valve motor

Craig :

Make sire it's not the connector

Craig :

power not coming through

Craig :

Are the wires tight? The pins in the connector not pushed back? Look at the connector pins

Customer:

No 28 volts AC at the PC board. But the controller is going through that rapid beep-beep-beep...not accepting ANY commands...so do you think the board wants to go fishing and isn't allowed to deliver voltage to the motor?

Craig :

Sounds like it, yes.

Craig :

You did un plug it?

Craig :

For a reset?

Customer:

Yes, reset...and if I wait a few minutes Error 01 comes up. Even with the motor unplugged.And the only other thing I can think of is...could some telemetry be TELLING the board not to cough up the voltage?

Craig :

Do you have voltage into the controller?

Customer:

Yes

Craig :

What is it 28 volts?

Customer:

A slight bit higher, IIRC

Craig :

Ok, well it sounds like it's bad then if it won't put out a voltage to the valve motor and run

Customer:

Okay...we'll go for a new controller board I guess. THANKS for your help Craig!

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.