romr2009
romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

Hello Dishwasher Pros, I have a question to truly test your

Customer Question

Hello Dishwasher Pros,

I have a question to truly test your experience… My dishwasher appears to work correctly in all of its cycles but simply does not clean dishes. I am wary of taking it to the local repair folks, because I expect they will run the self-diagnostic program -as I have done- and tell me there is nothing wrong with it since all the programs run and everything seems fine…

Model:
Whirlpool ADP 2554 multizone (maybe is latin market only model as online information is only in Spanish)

History:
About 6 years old. Been in storage 2 years, and has not worked well since reuse. When removed from storage I replaced the in-door dispenser of powder detergent and spotless-drying –liquid; it had a busted latch. (Whirlpool part # XXXXX – number stamped on back of piece XXXXXXXXXX and also(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Symptoms:
Glasses are white and foggy with drop spots and also white haze build up, coffee cups have coffee residue below, plates are foggy with a layer of opaque white haze – not shiny and bright, even the inside of front door is stained with white foggy haze, not brightly silver, bits of food particulate stuck on bowls. (to recuperate my dishes I need to soak them in warm vineagar..)

What have I checked:
*I have done the self diagnosis program – found on the online manual- indicates that all systems work fine.
*Goes through all cycles ok.
*Good incoming water pressure.
*Water heater works – water is hot to touch when you open during cycle. *Drying heaters work – sides are hot to touch at end of cycle.
*No obvious obstructions of swinging arms or build up of calcium.

I have tried all different levels of spotless-drying liquid, different soaps, different loading. What could it be? Could the replacement soap and drying liquid dispenser be faulty?

Thank you very much for your time and help.
XXXXX XXXXX -XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Can you please reverify the model number? It should be either on the side of the door or on the rim of the tub where the door closes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Randy,

Now I am at work (where the dishwasher is not!) but I am sure of the model number written on the front door. ADP 2554 multizone. I think it is a European or a Latin American market model only. Why? Because when I Google it, I can find only a Spanish language version of the service manual, link below. Also I and my machine are in Santiago, Chile, South America, although the machine says MADE IN GERMANY on it.

Here is the manual link :

www.download-service-manuals.com/manual.php?file=Whirlpool-868.pdf

This manual is definitely for my machine, so perhaps you can find the numbers you need there? Please let me know if this is NOT helping you and you need me to actually look at the machine. I can do this in the evening.

FYI, this manual does indicate a diagnostic program (in Spanish!), which should self-test for all problems. I have run this program and it indicates all well.

And, just for fun when we finish the dishwasher, I can ask you how to tune my 23 year old Swedish Asko Clothes Washer and Dryer which I also imported here!

Appliance challenged in Santiago, Scott
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I just now see that you are in Chile, so I have no access to your model. I am going to opt out and let an expert more familiar with you unit assist you.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Appliance category.

• Are you connected to a water softener system?
  • Is the drain hose connected to an air gap device and/or a garbage disposal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Everyone. I will answer the next 2 questions....

*No it is not connected to an external water softener system. It does have its own system, of salt. It has a compartment on the bottom that you fill up with a special dishwasher salt (like big chunks of what we call rock salt in USA) I have that system filled as it should be. I have used this dishwasher before in this city on the same city water system without a problem. That was in another part of town, but all of Santiago's water comes from the mountains so i think it should be more or less the same.

*the drain hose is not connected to a garbage disposal. I just googled "air gap device". Hmmmm..... The dishwasher is mounted high (on top of the clothes washer, about a meter above the ground) so the outlet tube drains down with no air gap. There is no possibility that water could drain back, in reverse, into the dishwasher (because the dishwasher is mounted higher than the drain). The drain goes down and joins the drain from the clothes washer into an open drain for that purpose. (This is an apartment and the outlet drains are set up in the utility room to recieve waste water from appliances.) Make sense?

Therefore there is no possibility that any water could drain UP and get back into the machine. However there is no air gap (because the drain goes down not up), this might make the dishwasher have a different pressure or reservoir since it would not have that water between the machine and the airgap...

Would that matter? Thanks! Scott
Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• I would replace the ion-exchange resin and the softening filter.
  • My concern is the ion-exchange resin is being melted and coating your dishes.
  • Normally the resin grabs calcium and magnesium ions from the water; then during recharge the salt displaces the Ca + Mg from the resin so the Ca + Mg is flushed down the drain.
  • It sounds like the resin is being baked on to your dishes during the drying cycle instead of staying in the ion-exchange container.

-----

• The air gap is also a good tool to watch the discharge of waste water from the dishwasher.
  • Hot water dissolves grease but the grease eventually builds up in the waste piping and can reduce the drain stream so that waste water is not fully emptied before the rinse cycle.
  • Since you drain into an open drain: observe the draining wastewater after the wash cycle (before the rinse water fills), after the stream stops, open the d/w door and check if the tub is empty.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• While you are at it, check your installation:
  • Normal dishwashers are connected to the hot water line.
  • Since your unit has a built-in water heater and a built-in ion-exchange device, it should be connected to the cold water line.
  • Ion-exchange resins will melt in hot water so they are always connected upstream from any hot water heaters.
  • The normal plan is to exchange the ions before the water is heated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 14pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Hello

Thanks for your continued help – I have not had time to work on this today and I probably will not until Monday night. I think a solution is near. I checked the air gap, it has one – so that is not the problem. I fixed one problem last night, with the drying liquid dispenser. I am not sure if it is fixed, because all my dishes are fully hazed, so I can’t tell if it is still hazing / clouding them or not

Drying liquid dispenser:

When I replaced the soap and drying liquid dispenser before I did so at Chile’s authorized Whirlpool dealer, bringing the defective part to them and receiving a new piece. It was a different color but it fit perfectly. I assumed they had given me the correct piece.

Last evening I removed it and inspected it very very very carefully against the original broken one (fortunately I had kept the original one). This time I noticed that the new replacement has an extra electrical connection – therefore it must be for a different model. Some of the numbers printed on it are identical and some numbers are 1 digit different. I think they gave me a wrong part, a part which requires a different electric circuit to operate.

I rebuilt the original unit, using some parts from both. I will test this.

Hot water….

I did hook it up to the hot water circuit. If the liquid dispenser does not fix the problem then I would like to change the ion-exchanger. I cannot find the ion-exchanger on the parts diagram. Are you sure it has one? Could you tell me what is the number of the piece please?

If you don’t have the manual you can download it for free here:

www.opweb.de/model.php?id=1820

Thank you very much, Scott

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.

• I can't think of a way that hot water would be cooled down enough (without refrigeration) to prevent it from melting the ion-exchange resin.
  • Move it to the cold water pipe.

-----

• Page 2:

Filtro descalcificador (monoblock)

Recipiente sal 2 kg

Recipiente resinas 900 cm3

Regeneración dósis 300 cm3

-----

• Page 5:

710 0 4812 418 68149 MONOBLOCK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry not to get back to you....THanks very much. I will try to get to this during this week. Just no time right now... I will get a new dose of Ions and replace the old ions-exchange pieces with new ones and try that.

Sorry that this is taking so long. When it is working I do promise to actually pay you. I do apologize for the delay.

Scott
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

OK.

-----

• What about the hot water on resin?
  • If you have ever seen the exchange tanks on household ion-exchange water softeners, every tank is marked FOR INSTALLATION ON COLD WATER LINE ONLY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually I have never even HEARD of ion-exchange before you told me about it!

Can I replace the ions in the same way that I replace the salt? Page 2 indicates "Regeneracion Dosis 300 cm2". I called all over Santiago (Chile) trying to find the resin / ions / regeneracion dosis to replace the ones in my unit. Everyone tells me that it is impossible / does not exist etc. I can keep trying tomorrow.

I have not yet tried to operate the machine on cold water and with the corrected / repaired dispenser. Before I try this I need to clean my dishes with vineager because they are all white! (So I cannot tell if they are more or less white.)

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX! Scott
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

• I have never heard of ion-exchange built into a dishwasher --- not common, probably because of the hot water issue.
  • Since most installers use the hot water (less expensive units do not have a built-in water heater), the dishwasher was condemned to failure.

-----

• Back when I did house calls, we carried a mild acid powder to clean dishwashers (citric or acetic I believe).
  • I don't know how it might affect the resin, but if you can't find a replacement, I would remove/bypass the old resin (and salt) and click on the link below.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-clean-your-dishwasher-with-vinegar

romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect! It worked!!

Over the weekend I finally cleaned all the dishes with vinegar, back to their normal condition, and then did a wash. It worked great!

So something worked here, between the cold water installation, the repair of the dispenser unit, o something else! It is working again and that is the important part!

Thanks very very much for your time, effort and help!

Scott
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome & congratulations!