John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My refrigerator is set as 46 but it keeps running and the temperature

Customer Question

My refrigerator is set as 46 but it keeps running and the temperature goes down to 30. I have to shut it off to stop it from running.

We had a power outage the other day,could that be the problem, or do I need to call for service
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. There are some things you could do yourself if you would like and possibly make the repair. I can help you.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere?

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

freezer is working and at 0

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks,,,Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, freezer is set at 0 and stays at 0. It is the refrigerator part that goes very cold

I am not at home now, sorry.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Ah I understand. The refrigerator is out of control. Bookmark the page and email it home. I still think you can make the repair, I need to look at the diagrams to be sure if I can advise you. I believe I can, there are 2 things that cause that type of problem. The thermostat and the damper. The damper is what allows air to flow from the freezer to the fresh food section. It may be stuck or broken. There are many different styles.

If you will give me a shout when you get home I will be notified immediately and will post back.

Barry