Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have model ATB1915HR. First the freezer quit cooling. Sounded

I have model ATB1915HR. First the freezer quit cooling. Sounded like the compressor was running and the fan is running. A day (could have been 2) later the refrigerated part quit running. The back does not come off except at the bottom. We took it off and cleaned it out. The fan there is not running.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

o around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's humming/vibrating and hot
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thats ok,, as long as its still running. Get a fan of some type and put back there. Look around underneath and try to clean the coils under the bottom as best you can. Having air circulating under there is extremely important. If you need time to dig out a fan please take the time. I can wait.

Once you get that done check in the freezer and be sure the fan in there is blowing and let me know.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We already vacuumed the fin things on the back of the fan. They're cold so are they the coils? We can't see or access the coils that you normally see on the back of the fridge.

The fan in the freezer is still blowing.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok make sure you get a fan behind the fridge to blow underneath. I am going to look at the diagrams for your model for a few minutes.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, thanks
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The fan motor is 120 volt. Is the motor hot? Are the blades free to spin? I am meaning the fan motor by the compressor in the back.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fan motor is not hot, I can easily spin the blades. Just the compressor motor is hot.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You don't happen to have a volt meter or a test light do you?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope. :o(
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Follow the wiring from the motor for the fan I am fairly sure you will find that the wire runs right to the compressor. The compresor had power to the motor should have power available as well. I think it would be a safe bet to count the fan motor as bad. Its a guess but I honestly think its a good guess. The part number is.61002038. That is the factory part number you can shop anywhere with.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - In case installing a new fan motor doesn't work, what would we do next?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Well before you purchase a fan motor, and I am sorry I should have said this earlier. Check for freon flow.

When you place a fan in the rear to cool underneath take a look in the freezer at the coils I will send a diagram in a few minutes and explain the rest.

I will not be long,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - already unscrewed the screws in the back of the freezer and took a look
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Leave that fan back there for about 45 minutes. Open the freezer and remove the parts arrowed red in the diagram below. Those coils behind that panel should be lightly coated white with frost. If they are then that is all you need. There will be no need to do more.

If it turns out the coils are not white and the compressor is operating you will need to call for service to get the compressor or a freon leak repaired. I really do not think that is going to happen because a part failure was located and it is one that will keep a fridge from cooling.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks for your help!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you for using our service and please return when you need us again. If you have the time leave a feedback. If you do not I understand we have a fridge too and its very important to get it working fast.

Take care.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.