repairman4734
repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.
15371985

Frig is not cooling and freezer completely thawed. Looking

Customer Question

Frig is not cooling and freezer completely thawed. Looking at underneath back. Coils look very dusty, fan blowing compressor warm. What should I do. Clicking sound as if compressor trying to kick in.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for using just answer. Your problem does not sound good. Check the back wall of the freezer section. Is or was there frost on the back wall? Something major happened here, to cause the problem. Unplug the frig. Before you do this, listen for a fan running in the freezer, when you open the door up. Is it running? Then go around back and remove the cover down below, is the fan by the compressor running? The clicking noise you are hearing, is the start relay trying to kick in, and then cycling off. You probably have a compressor gone bad and will need to be replaced. The cost of this job, far outweighs the price of a new frig. Hope this helps and good luck. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I be able to hold my hand is front of freezer blower for an extended period of time or should my fingers get to cold to keep in place. Click happens evey couple minutes
Hi, air s/b cold to freezing, if working right. Compressor clicking, means compressor may not be running. Watch your food. Its probably going to get worse before it gets better.