Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi Steve, I have a Kenmore refrigerator MN 106.74252402 that

Hi Steve,
I have a Kenmore refrigerator MN 106.74252402 that has had frost build up in the freezer over the past couple months. I've removed the food & unplugged the refrigerator to melt the ice.
This has happened at least once before & I noticed no water draining into the pan underneath so I guessed that it may be the heating element used to defrost the evaporator coil that wasn't working. The heating element that melts the ice on the evaporator was showing amps running thru it the last time this happened about 1 year ago. My next guess is the mechanical defrost timer (which I believe on this model may be called Adaptive Defrost Control). Do you think I'm on the right track & if so how do I test the Adaptive Defrost Control?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You're exactly right, if your heater is good and you had amps going through the element, then the problem is that your ADC is just not turning the defrost on enough or at the right times. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I bother testing the Adaptive Defrost Control ?
there is no way to test it, so that would be a "no".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that since I couldn't figure out how to test it.
no problem and good luck.