Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.

I have an Macallister electric lawn mower type 1800TE. The

I have an Macallister electric lawn mower type 1800TE. The motor won't start turning unless I give the blade a tweek with stick, then it starts and runs normally. Any ideas why this should be, and how I can cure it?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Im sorry, I saw you asked for me. Unfortunately I am not aware of this product. No one else seems to have answered you either.
I will opt out. If someone knows, they will pick up this question

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Rob,

It seems that this machine is made by MTD in the USA and marketed under the name Mac Allister in Europe where I am. Maybe this may help you or others to advise me.

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
The symptoms that you describe would indicate that there may be a start capacitor to get the motor running, but this is quite odd in a lawnmower, I think.
Do you see anything that looks like a capacitor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Rob,

I'm busy at the moment but will get back to you in the next 24 hours

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is indeed a large capacitor. A close inspection revealed a poor connection, and once that had been repaired, the machine works well, though it is vibrating rather a lot, which probably caused the connection problem in the first place.

Thank you for putting me on the right track again.

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hi Victor
Well thats great news, its fixed.
Glad I could help out.
Please be so kind as to press the accept button for me so that I get paid for helping you today, it costs you no more.