Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

the ice maker is not working how do we fix it

the ice maker is not working how do we fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
BRF20TW
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

Try to feel the ice maker, are your ejector blades in about the same position as the picture below? Is the ice maker empty? I know this ice maker looks different but the ejector blades are pointed out and thats what I need to know.

Once you look, press the freezer door light switch to see if those blades are moving. They are wired to shut off when the lights are on.

Thanks,

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ice maker is empty, the ejector blades are pointed up but they do not move when we switch off the light.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Higher than the picture, near 12 oclock? I am sorry I missed your reply right away. For some reason I did not get a notification.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no-they point more towards 3 o'clock
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 5 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

Are you able to get a piece of wire about 6 inches long and strip both ends about 1/2 inch back ?

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no-not at this time. please let me know what your thoughts are & what you are trying to do
I want you to see if you can jump start the ice maker. If you pull the end cap off. Under it in the bottom right corner are two holes. They are marked T and H insert both ends of the wire at the same time into each hole. Wait about 5 seconds and see if it starts to cycle. If it does not the fuse on the wire harness is probably bad and you will need to replace the wire harness. There are two screws that hold the maker in above the tray. Remove them and you can access the harness.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I took the end cap off the white wheel moved & the ejector blades moved. now it isn't moving. should I still proceed with the wire ends into those 2 holes?
Yes.
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after inserting the the wire the wheel rotates.
Did it fill with water ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
You will have to replace the ice maker and that will solve the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I do that
Unplug the fridge remove the two screws above the ice tray undo the wire harness And replace wit new one. You can get it at your local appliance parts store. Just use your model #
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try & do that but I have 1 more question. If the water doesn't flow doesn't it appear that this is the problem & will still be there even with a new unit
The ice maker is not sending power I believe if you have a voltage tester you can double check. But I'm pretty sure the problem is the maker.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont have a voltage tester (I am not very handy!) so will try & get a new ice maker.
Which are the best places to look for this product?
Sears or your local appliance parts store.