Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Clothes dryer turns on and off by itself!We can try to

Customer Question

Clothes dryer turns on and off by itself!

We can try to start the dryer, and it won't start. Then, a few minutes later, it might start. Then stop after a few minutes. Then may start again. Appears pretty random. It doesn't appear it's overheating and cutting out, because sometimes it won't start at all from a cold start, Then will start later! Very random.

A side note is the buzzer sounds funny sometimes, not like normal.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The dryer stopping means that the motor is overheating. The reason it starts after you waiting a few minutes is because the motor cools down. You'll need to order and replace the motor to fix the issue, it also is the part that sends power to the buzzer so chances are this is causing the buzzer noise as well.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, another question. Remember, I said when we try to start it COLD, having not run for several hours, it initially won't start. Cold, not hot. Then, a few minutes later, it starts. I had at first thought something was overheating, but it does fail to start when it's cold too. So what would account for it not starting sometimes when cold? And sometimes when it does start, it only runs a few seconds. Maybe not long enough to get hot.

Any more ideas? This one has me really confused. Could it be the timer? I know most times I've thought it was a timer over the years with a washer or dryer it was not the timer, but something is causing this start and stop behavior, even when the dryer is cold.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no this doesn't sound like a timer, if the timer was bad it would never work. That being said, it sounds like a bad motor still. Even if it won't start up cold, the motor bearings could just be jammed which is why the motor overheats anyways (because the bearing is going out). You can always remove the motor and spin the shaft to see if it spins freely or not. I would imagine you will have some friction. If it isn't the motor then really anything could be causing the issue and it wouldn't be a normal failure at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Looks like you were right on. I watched the motor and sure enough it siezed sporadically.

We've been trying to get the Fan off the old motor with no success. It just won't come loose. The nut on the fan at the motor is molded with the fan so its plastic. We've rounded it off trying to hold it while turning the motor shaft from the front. It says its left handed thread, so were turning it clockwise (facing the motor from the front) but no dice. Before Ibchop the FM off and buy a new one is there a trick to getting it off?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
OK well if the plastic is rounded off, you may have a problem getting the blower wheel off. This is definitely left handed thread, but if worst comes to worst and you just get get the wheel off the motor (that does happen), you'll need to pull the dryer out and remove the back panel and the lint filter housing so you can chissle the blower wheel off and replace the blower wheel with the motor.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc