Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a set of G E Harmony washer and dryer - the dryer is

I have a set of G E Harmony washer and dryer - the dryer is giving us fits - it will start up and some times it will dry and others it won't - I did lean against the door putting soap in the cabinet above and it came on - I noticed two switches - one on each side of the door - do these go bad? - could one of them be all that is wrong? - Are there any other tips you can give me ? - I called to get a G E Serviceman and was told we are not in the coverage area - HELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

if you can get us the model # XXXXX you get back home ? its impossible to say whats wrong without looking at the machine diagrams.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I won't be home until Friday night - is that ok ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That's fine, I will watch for your reply tomorrow night, any replies you send will come directly to me, talk then, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I save this so I can continue tomorrow - can they email this to me so I can start here
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
all you do is sign back in . just make sure you leave the question open,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay - as of last night the fires were 1200ft from my property - weve been busy with that - I have a G E Profile Dryer - Model # XXXXX - thanks Billy
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay Bill, I can't seem to get that model number to come up, can you check again ? Sorry about the fires been so close to your house I hope you're okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

double checked and that is the model number

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I got it, I only see one door switch on this however part number 210 on this diagram, did you say there were two switches?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it appears just one - the other on the right might just be a blank - the dryer always runs - but doe'nt always dry - it;s like the heating element won't come on - do you think the switch is bad or has a loose connection
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay see you saying the dryer always starts and runs but just doesn't heat all the time ? If the dryer starts and runs it's not the door switch for sure, and when you say it doesn't always dry do you mean it takes a real long time or sometimes at the end of the cycle there not completely dry ? What I mean is there always heat but just not as hot as it needs to be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it either runs as it is supposed to or it runs through the cycle - spinning but with no heat - spinning with cool air
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay well my guess would be your cycling thermostat that turns the heat on off is the issue,unfortunately this is no longer available how old is this unit? I will look at some other places to see if I can find one,. Do you have a voltmeter? Would you be able to take this dryer apart to test some of the components?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I can check with a volt meter and I do own one - this unit is at most 6-7 years old - I cant believe they are discontinued - let me know what you find out
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay so you can get the machine apart so you can get into the inside of it ? Actually I just found the thermostat at Sears, it's $40 however, what you need to do is get the machine apart and take your voltmeter and test the thermostats on it, they will be on the heater can and the blower assembly, they should all have continuity when cold. I'm going to send you a link to all the parts and diagrams. The link will be below. Also check your heating element and make sure it has continuity and is not shorted to the heater can itself,

diagrams let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.