Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

model mde5500ayw, serial # XXXXX 4 69794242ge need to conect

Customer Question

model mde5500ayw, serial # XXXXX 4 69794242ge need to conect electrical cable with 4 lines (green , white , black & red. where do I conect the if I only have 3 conctors in back.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

On the middle terminal, do you have a copper strip attached to it?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

silver

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Here is a diagram on the hook up for your unit...

For Four Prong Cords
the White cord wire goes in the center,
the Red on the Right,
the Black on the Left.
The green cord wire goes to the case or the external ground screw.

Note: Be sure to disconnect the ground wire or strap that runs from the center terminal to the case. In this Photo (A Whirlpool Dryer) I have ran the wire that runs from the center terminal, the Light Green wire, back to itself rather than cutting it off, just incase I need to put a 3 prong cord back on it some day. The whole purpose of this 3 prong / 4 prong thing is it separates the neutral from the ground.
graphic

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This did not help, how can I get somebody here and what will be the cost, Todat Please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I I followed the diagram you sent and it still does not work.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

If you cannot do this your self, then call A&E Factory Service at 1.800.905.9505 to have them come to install the cord for you...

They will charge about $129 to install it for you