Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

Just purchased and had a plumber install a stand alone whirlpool

Customer Question

Just purchased and had a plumber install a stand alone whirlpool ice maker. Turned it on and manual says it will take 24hours to make first batch of ice. Its been 30hours and nothing. Water is running, filling up the reservoir, draining out a small fraction and water runs again. But no ice. Feels very hot inside the unit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

If it's staying hot the compressor isn't coming on. Any chance it was layed on a side or back when delivered?

Customer : It stayed upright except for when it was transported in my vehicle from office to home.
Repairman1981 :

was it layed then?

Repairman1981 :

even just a few minutes?

Customer : Yes, 15 minutes
Repairman1981 :

that is the issue unfortunately

Repairman1981 :

Unless you left it upright for over 24 hours before plugging in, the compressor is locked up

Repairman1981 :

That would cause your symptoms, and if leaned is VERY common

Customer : It was upright for 24 hours before hooked up
Repairman1981 :

Do you hear a BUZZ click about ever 3-5 minutes?

Customer : No, just the sound of water coming on about every 30 seconds
Repairman1981 :

any flashing lights?

Repairman1981 :

Which light is on?

Customer : Just blue on light
Repairman1981 :

which one

Repairman1981 :

far left?

Customer : After the water runs, that blue light flashes off and the interior light goes off for about 10seconds and then comes back on. Far left light.
Customer : Did u respond?
Repairman1981 :

That is a bad board

Repairman1981 :

the blue light isn't even an error code and the interior bin light should NEVER go off unless the door is closed

Repairman1981 :

It is possible the plug (hot and neutral is wired backwards) but aside from that it's a bad board

Customer : Bad board on a new unit?
Repairman1981 :

Since it's brand new it's time to call for service

Repairman1981 :

You won't have to pay for it,

Repairman1981 :

I have seen it before

Repairman1981 :

Used to do warranty work for whirlpool, see it a LOT

Customer : Ok, thanks
Repairman1981 :

Wish I could tell you a simple fix, but the light shouldn't go off and there isn't any button you can press to fix that

Repairman1981 :

Do you need their customer service number, or does where you bought it from have service?

Customer : Bought it on internet
Repairman1981 :

ok well as long as it was new they should warranty it

Customer : Should I have the electrician check the wiring?
Repairman1981 :

comes with 1 year out of the box

Repairman1981 :

you can with a meter

Customer : Should I have electrician check the wiring?
Repairman1981 :

or yes

Repairman1981 :

But you have to pull it out to check and it's kinda a pain. I would just have an appliance tech out

Repairman1981 :

They can check it as well

Customer : What did u say might b wired backwards?
Repairman1981 :

The plug

Repairman1981 :

But apliance techs swap them

Repairman1981 :

it's just moving a wire

Repairman1981 :

I do them in less than 5 mins

Repairman1981 :

no big deal, no need to pay an electrician

Customer : Ok, just the power plug that goes to the outlet.
Repairman1981 :

yes

Repairman1981 :

The wire will be fine

Customer : Can I do it?
Repairman1981 :

I would suggest having the electrician or appliance guy do it

Repairman1981 :

Electricity isn't something you should mess with

Repairman1981 :

and at this point with the light going off I'm not sure that is your problem

Customer : K, thanks.
Repairman1981 :

No problem. Have a great rest of your evening, and just turn it off till you get someone scheduled. No point wasting water and electricity

Customer : Will do.
Repairman1981 :

Please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and lemme know if you need anything else on this later on. Thanks!