Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

This is the same question, with additional information. The

Customer Question

This is the same question, with additional information. The ovens currently have halogen bulbs in ceramic sockets. We are constantly replacing the fixtures (sockets) because they corrode and burn out. Perhaps it is the high heat - but more likely it is the atmosphere inside the oven - high concentrations of grease and oils from the food normally found in a pizza oven. We cannot use recessed fixtures with normal appliance bulbs due to the configuration of the ovens. The current lamps are surface mounted inside the ovens, with perforated expanded metal shields, which do not provide any protection against the corrosive atmosphere, only protecting the bulbs from physical contact with the pizza pans. We either need to find a fixture which will not corrode ( perhaps like the calrod units used in toaster ovens) or we need an airtight enclosure with enough glass to allow sufficient light. The halogen bulbs we're using now (similar to the ones used in torchiere lamps) provide a lot of light, but either the bulbs or the sockets burn out quickly (every week or so) and we can't keep changing them. Whatever we use has to be surface mounted, and it must have a relatively low profile.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.

Craig :

You gave me negative feedback my not so good friend...

Customer:

How? Never said anything negative at all

Customer:

First of all, I don't have a negative opinion - so how could I have left negative feedback?

Customer:

Secondly, your site is asking me to accept your comment about negative feedback as if it were the answer to my question. And why would you post such a comment and then leave the chat?

Craig :

I am so sorry if I have mis spoken.

Craig :

I have had a similar question from a customer that was not very friendly, sorry.

Craig :

I would be glad to try and help you.

Craig :

Let me look at your question again

Craig :

You have a unique operating environment. Let me do a little research on this, I will need to look into the details here.

Craig :

Please be patient so I can give you the correct answer.

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
These sockets should not burn out like that in a week or so. My first inclination here is the wattage rating of the bulb and socket being incompatible. Give me any info on the socket you can see. It should have a wattage rating of model number or something. IF the bulbs wattage is too high for the socket, it could be the cause of the burnout. Start there and tell me the bulbs wattage used and the socket info please. We will get to the bottom of this! Thanks, Craig
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i will get the answer for you asap.

Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
Great, thanks...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The bulb is Sylvania Quartz # XXXXXXX, 1500 watt, 240V

There are two sockets we use:

First is Leviton, 3000 W, 500 V

Second is Triboro, 3000 W, 250 V

BTW, I am actually a friend of the person you've been dealing with. He is not too good on the computer and not very knowledgeable technically. I have some familiarity with the language you speak, but I am by no means an expert. He asked me to help him solve this problem.

Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
Great, thanks for the info. Is there a model number on the socket? My next question is whether or not the socket is rated for the temps it's running in. What is the high temp it sees, 600° F or something?
Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
How long has the oven been operating? Did the quartz lights come in the oven new from the Mfg? What is the make and model of the oven please?
Is there any chance that these lights have been added by someone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am researching original information. Two of the ovens had lights when purchased.

Will get you more data soon.

Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
I really believe that the wrong lights are installed. They are not rated for 700° F temps and it's just burning them up/ These lights will need to be replace with high temp oven lights. Oven Light sockets must be rated at 350° C (662° F) to hold up to the pizza oven temps. Your sockets are probably rated at 200° C (392° F)
This is why they are failing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have contacted the oven manufacturer. Tech support there is sending me two of the original OEM sockets. They actually manufactured the bulbs themselves. The ovens these were originally installed in have been discontinued, and the company no longer is in the business of making deck-style pizza ovens. They have a few of these old sockets, and he is sending me two for me to look at. Expect to receive Tue or Wed and will advise after examing them.

Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
This is fantastic news! These should be rated correctly for the 600 degree temps you need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Craig,

I received one socket from Lang today. It is essentially the same as the ones we've been using.

I've talked to the tech service people at Lang, and they say they think the lamps and sockets on the original equipment were enclosed in some sort of glass tube. But it was so long ago that nobody can even find the part numbers or the original service manuals for those ovens.

Meanwhile, I've been corresponding with a number of specialty lighting manufacturers, and all of them pretty much say the same thing, that temps above 600 - 650 compromise the integrity of the lamp's seal, causing it to leak. Once the halogen escapes, the bulb is gone. That, combined with the corrosive atmosphere, can also crack the ceramic sleeve on the socket. All of the above explains why you can't find a pizza oven with lights in it.

So it looks like there is really no solution to this problem other than to keep replacing the components as they fail, or to find another way of lighting the inside of the oven chamber.

Tony

Expert:  Craig replied 2 years ago.
Would it be possible to retro fit the oven with a different bulb, like a regular incandescent oven bulb? That could work...