Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

I HAVE A 1998 HOTPOINT FRIG MODEL CTX21G1XAA. LATELY WATER

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1998 HOTPOINT FRIG MODEL CTX21G1XAA. LATELY WATER APPEARS ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF THE DOOR ON THE LEFT SIDE. WE PULLED IT OUT AND CLEANED THE
COILS WHERE WE COULD AND CHECKED THE WATER LINE FOR THE ICE MAKER. IT WAS DRY. I CANNOT FIND A DRIP TRAY UNDER IT ANYWHERE. ANY IDEA WHERE THE WATER IS COMING FROM AND HOW TO STOP IT? THANK YOU!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
IF you pull out the bins on the bottom, is there a pool of water on the floor of the refrigerator? Also, could you please double check the model number, it does not seem to be correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO WATER UNDER THE FRUIT BINS. MODEL SHOULD BE CTX21GIXFRAA. IS THAT BETTER? OUR OLD FRIGIDAIRE HAS A DRIP TRAY UNDER IT, BUT THIS HOTPOINT DOES NOT.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

How do your gaskets look on the refrigerator door? Are they broken? Is it making a tight seal? THere is a drip tray, on this model it can not be removed and sits under the compressor. The water that goes into evaporates with the heat of the compressor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CHECKED THE SEALS ON BOTH DOORS. BOTH ARE VERY FLEXIBLE AND SEAL COMPLETELY WITH NO CRACKS ANYWHERE FOR AIR OR MOISTURE TO GET IN.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Is it a large pool of water? Can you see it dripping from the door?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CANNOT SEE IT DRIPPING FROM THE DOOR. IF YOU SQUARED IT UP, THE PUDDLE IS ABOUT 8 INCHES SQUARE. IT IS ENOUGH TO MAKE A NORMAL SIZED TOWEL TOTALLY SOAKED. IT ALWAYS COMES OUT OF THE LEFT CORNER. THIS HAPPENS ABOUT ONCE EVERY OTHER DAY. I HAVE PULLED THE KICK COVER OFF AND FELT THE COILS. THEY ARE ALWAYS DRY. THAT'S WHY I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE THE ICE MAKER LINE, BUT AFTER PULLING THE FRIG OUT OF THE CABINET, ALL OF ITS COMPONETS WERE DRY, ALSO.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

If you pull the unit out, there is a drain tube for the defrost that runs down the back of the unit. Check the tube for any blockages as well as the hole that goes through the liner where the tube attach's.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IN THE CENTER OF THE BACK, THERE IS A BLACK HARD PLASTIC TUBE (3/8"?) COMING OUT OF THE TOP OF THE FRIG SECTION AND GOING DOWN TO WITHIN 1/4" OF A TRIANGULAR SHAPED PERMANET TRAY WHICH IS DIRECTLY BEHIND THE COOLING FAN. IT IS BONE DRY. THE FRIG IS RUNNING RIGHT NOW AND I CAN ONLY KEEP MY HAND ON THE COMPRESSOR FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS BEFORE GETTING VERY HOT. IS THIS NORMAL?
I JUST REMOVED THE BLACK PLASTIC DRAIN TUBE AND BLEW IN IT. IT IS TOTALLY CLEAR. THERE IS AN EXCESSIVE MOISTURE SWITCH BY THE TEMP CONTROLS AND IT IS SET FOR CONTROLLING EXCESSIVE EXTERNAL MOISTURE.
THE FRIG CONTROL SAYS INITIAL SETTING SHOULD BE 5 WITH MAX AT 9. IT IS SET AT 6 AND COOLS FINE. THE FREEZER CONTROL SAYS INITIAL SETTING AT C WITH MAX AT E. IT IS SET ON D AND FREEZES WELL.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IT IS 10:40 CDT AND I NEED TO GET UP EARLY TOMORROW. I'LL WAIT ANOTHER FIVE MINUTES BEFORE GOING TO BED. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SOLUTION, CAN WE CONTINUE THIS TOMORROW EVENING? I'M WILLING TO PAY YOU IF THE ISSUE CAN BE RESOLVED. THANK YOU! PS. WHERE ARE YOU?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

The moisture switch should be left on, it reduces moisture around the from of the refrigerator.

Is the part that the tube connects to clear? There should be something that looks like a little sink drain trap that the tube connects to.

If the drip pan is bone dry, you must have a blockage of the defrost drain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SORRY NOT TO GET BACK TO YOU SOONER. WE HAVE OUT OF TOWN COMPANY HERE THE NEXT 3 DAYS. I WILL CHECK THAT TRAP PART OF THE DRAIN SOMETIME MONDAY. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE. I'LL GET BACK TO YOU EARLY NEXT WEEK.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK!! I'M FINALLY BACK. I TOOK THE MINI DRAIN TRAP OFF THE BACK OF THE FRIG AND IT WAS COMPLETELY PLUGGED WITH RUST, BUT NO WOMEN'S HAIR!
(I HAVE 3 GIRLS, 21,19, AND 15 STILL AT HOME AND HAIR IS A CAUSE OF A LOT OF MY MISERIES). I RINSED IT OUT AND THEN BLEW IT OUT WITH AN AIR COMPRESSOR. IT SHOULD BE DEFROSTING TONIGHT, SO TOMORROW AM WILL TELL THE STORY. I THINK YOU CAN CHALK UP ANOTHER ONE FOR YOUR SUCCESS PERCENTAGE. I THINK I OWE YOU $24; HOW DO I PAY YOU? THANK YOU!
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Just hit accept and I will be paid. I am glad it worked out and if you ever need anything again, please let me know.