Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

We have a Maytag dryer MDG508DAWW that will not start when

We have a Maytag dryer MDG508DAWW that will not start when we push the knob in. It surges like it is going to start but it doesn't actually start. It started squeeking last week, but didn't have time to check into it before now. We took the top off and the belt is still intact, and seems fairly tight. Any ideas, we can't figure out how to get the fron or bak off to check the motor.

Robert :

Hello.

Customer:

Hi

Robert :

It sounds like a bearing OR the motor may have locked up on you. Open the top and try to turn the tub clockwise by hand.

Customer:

It turns

Robert :

Ok. Hold the top open and have someone push the start button while you CAREFULLY give the tub a turn. Let me know if it takes off tumbling.

Customer:

It barely moves when I push the button and try to turn it

Robert :

You telling me it turns by hand rules out the tumbler bearings so that would mean that your motor has failed and will need to be replaced.

Customer:

OK, how do we access that if we decide to replace it?