Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

whirlpool dryer gew9868kt1 nothing works on keypad, have power

Customer Question

whirlpool dryer gew9868kt1 nothing works on keypad, have power to dryer and at transformer on board. are there any safeties the cut out power to keypad? do i need new board or keypad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the dryer problem.

Does the drum light come on with the door open ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The bulb has been burned out for years who needs a light in dryer. anyway checked and have voltage at socket with door open.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Has it been taking longer to dry a load before this happened ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

This is the thermal fuse it can cause the problem .

Watch the video it shows you how to replace the thermal fuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1obHbwPfw9s&feature=related

If you require more assistance let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thermal fuse has continuity. I have to go to bed will try again tomorrow.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Its the igniter I want you to check.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a gas dryer.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Remove the bottom front panel tell me if the belt is on the drum please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes belt is on the drum. Remember my problem is not no heat. It is, no buttons work or lights come on on control panel. I am a master electrician and troubleshoot for a living. so can we move on with multiple steps instead of one line at a time.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

You can look at the micro computer its located in the console and usually if its failed you will see burn marks on the board .

http://www.partselect.com/PS986743-Whirlpool-8566150-CNTRL-ELEC.htm?SourceCode=1&ModelNum=gew9868kt1

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Already looked at circuit board didn't see any burn marks or anything, also not really any burning electronics smell. Where were you going with this whole troubleshooting. look at my question ( "whirlpool dryer gew9868kt1 nothing works on keypad, have power to dryer and at transformer on board. are there any safeties the cut out power to keypad? do i need new board or keypad?") and you talk about igniter?? I checked some other sites and found out the thermister is supposed to have 10000 ohms. mine is open. I ordered a thermister online.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Well its unusual to have the thermistor fail and stop the console from lighting up.

Let me know how you make out with it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm really curious what does the belt and igniter have to do with the circuit board. And why don't you give multiple steps to test rather than one at a time. this way takes way too much time: type question, wait for instructions, run downstairs check dryer, type response, wait for response, read response, and repeat. waste of time. I sure hope I don't have to pay for this advice.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Well most customers that we help have never seen the inside of an appliance some don't know how to take a panel off , and most times the problem is found in a short amount of time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still no answer on what the belt or igniter have to do with circuit board. I still haven't solved my problem. and if you say it isnt thermister. than could be the board. I'll pay of I can really get an answer that helps but seems to be i suggested the bad board in my question. I was looking for advice on anything that could cut out the controls on keypad. dont want to spend $200 dollars on circuit board if safetys could be effecting this.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

I will opt out on this one I dont want to tell you the wrong part to buy.

Another tech will help you with the problem.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Check for 120 VAC between P1-5 and P1-2 at control. This is your primary power to control. Since you have 120 VAC at the light socket, you should have it there.Given that the board is switching the light socket power but you have no display, I believe the control is faulty. The display should light up when you open the door. Since we can verify that the light socket is powering up, the control is recognizing the door being opened. The control is number 3 in the picture, available at the link below.

Control