Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I HAVE A GE SMARTWATER SOFTENER MODEL GXSF40H AND THE WATER

Customer Question

I HAVE A GE SMARTWATER SOFTENER MODEL GXSF40H AND THE WATER WILL NOT DRAIN FROM THE SALT TANK, I HAVE CLEANED THE NOZZEL AND VENTURI ASSEMBLY, WHICH DID NOT WORK, I ALSO HAVE MANUALLY REMOVED THE WATER FROM THE TANK AND RAN ANOTHER CYCLE AND IT STILL DOES NOT DRAIN, WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO WE HAVE?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave in SC replied 2 years ago.

Dave in SC :

is this a new unit or has it functioned properly before?

Customer :

It is about 3-4 years old BUT it is at our vacation home and we probably do a recharge cycle about 3 or 4 times a year the number of times we come up, when we are not here we have the water turned off and have the unit unplugged.

Dave in SC :

one moment, let me pull up some tech info

Dave in SC :

what is the salt level in the salt tank?

Customer :

When all this started it was around 4 now it is at 2

Customer :

FYI the water level thru trying to run cycles got as high as 6

Dave in SC :

When you cleaned the venturi and the nozzle, did you completely disassemble the nozzle? I've seen the gasket cause issues because the passages were blocked by the gasket. Also, have you checked the drain hose for restrictions? Not necessarily being pinched off, but a build up on the inside of the hose can wreak havoc as well

Customer :

Yes when i disassemble the nozzel (it did have what appeard to be rust) I cleaned it real good and when I put it back together I made sure the hole in the gasket lined up with the little strainer, as for the hose when it is going thru the cycle I did pull the hose from the drain and it did appear to have a good flow, as for the hose in the unit (going from the assembly down to the float in the bottom of the tank) I used my compressor to blow the line out.

Dave in SC :

Just to avoid going over anything you've tried, do you have a copy of the user manual?

Customer :

Yes I downloaded it today on line

Dave in SC :

Very good. How many times have you recharged the system since new?

Customer :

If I were guessing 12-16 times

Dave in SC :

Well, I hate to do this, but this is about as much I can do. I'll opt out and hopefully someone will come along who knows GE water softeners. I have experience with much older models and general water softener operation, but to be honest, I only see maybe 2 a year in my job. The advent of electronic controls makes the newer models a little too unfamiliar. I would recommend going over the manual diagnostics in the user manual until you know them backward and forward, the problem is almost certainly one that can be fixed without the need for parts due to the nature of the problem. I imagine you still have a blockage, but as I said, not knowing this model very well, I can't guide you like you need. Best of luck!

Customer :

thanks

Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 2 years ago.
There are 6 bolts ( 5/16 ) holding the head together ( under the motor ) Taake these out and lift the head off. Look inside for any foreign objects and then reassemble. Most times you will not find anything in there but just taking it apart and reassembling will make it start working ( an air lock ?) Once reassembled hold the recycle tonight pad down until it says recycle NOW . The motor should move and the cam will stop at the F position - the fill . Remove the small hose from the nozzle/venturi and water should be coming out . Hold the pad again and the motor should move to BR position - the brine rinse . Now hold your finger on the fitting of the nozzle/venturi where the hose was attached and you should feel a suction on your fingertip. Also blow into the hose to make sure it is open down at the float.If all this is good reattach the hose and let it finiksh the regeneration on its own.