Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have a Ge front load washer wbvh6240fww. The problem I am

Customer Question

I have a Ge front load washer wbvh6240fww. The problem I am having is that when you push the start button it locks the door, and then emits a high pitched whine for about 10 to 15 seconds then unlocks the door. There are no error codes and I have cleaned the filter.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

The door lock can't engage, there is a 2nd stage solenoid that is trying to engage (the whine you hear) and then it unlocks thinking you just haven't closed the door fully

Repairman1981 :

I would press on the door extra to be sure it's closed well, if it is then replace the door latch

Repairman1981 :

It is 1 parts number, comes as an assembly, and then you will have a working washer back

Customer:

are you pretty sure about this resolution? i pressed hard on the door after closing it then tried to start and it did the same thing. Also is the door latch asebly simply the piece you see on the outside or are the electronics on the inside not visible?

Repairman1981 :

Yes there are electronics on the inside

Repairman1981 :

you remove the door boot

Repairman1981 :

and then the 2 screws around the piece you see

Repairman1981 :

Then you can unhook the wiring (BE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE MACHINE)

Repairman1981 :

and you can swap it

Repairman1981 :

Then reinstall the door boot and test

Customer:

okay. do you have the part number or is that the high detail?

Repairman1981 :

I'm happy to look it up for you, I don't have it off the top of my head

Repairman1981 :

Lemme look it up and I will provide that an an ordering link

Repairman1981 :

just a min

Customer:

awesome!

Repairman1981 :

I'm gonna save you enough money it more than pays for your question

Repairman1981 :

The GE part number is XXXXX

Repairman1981 :

There is a whirlpool door lock that is the same part (it subbs over) exactly the same

Customer:

i agree, just skeptical at first, that is all.

Repairman1981 : (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number, and it's 65.41 from marcone
Repairman1981 :

You can order from Marcone by calling at 1-888-464-2853 or through Repairclinic.com whichever is easier for you. Both appear to have it in stock.

Repairman1981 :

Repair clinic might be a bit cheaper than marcone

Customer:

okay

Repairman1981 :

BUt I would definitly order the whrilpool part since it's the same thing and it's more than half off

Customer:

will i get an email of this chat when done?

Repairman1981 :

yes

Repairman1981 :

If you need anything else you can return here anytime out to around 6 months with no addl charges as well

Repairman1981 :

Please do remember to leave feedback after clicking accept. Thanks!

Customer:

the 818 part is the whirlpool number correct?

Repairman1981 :

yes

Repairman1981 :

I didn't provide the GE because it's ridiculously priced

Customer:

the 818 part is the whirlpool number?

Repairman1981 :

YES

Customer:

the 818 is the whirlpool number?

Repairman1981 :

YES

Repairman1981 :

Are you getting my replies?

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

my screen was stuck

Repairman1981 :

no problem, I thought you weren't getting myreplies

Customer:

thank you very much! appreciate your help.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I replaced the door latch assembly. When you push start it locks, then unlocks. Then locks again and starts what sounds like pumping, then after about 3 minutes stops doing anything and unlocks again.