Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Maytag dryer has power. Wont start when start button pushed.

Customer Question

Maytag dryer has power. Won't start when start button pushed. Light on inside when door opens.Performance model. Do I need a service call?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

It sounds like a thermal fuse may have popped on your unit.

Robert :

Let me pull the tech manual on this one.

Robert :

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer :

don't think so

Robert :

Ok. Are you pretty handy and have access to tools?

Customer :

yes

Robert :

Ok. Give me a second here and I will have some instructions on how to open it up.

Robert :

Unplug the dryer. Open the door and remove the screws on the hinge and the screws on the opposite side. This will allow you to pull the front panel away and then lift it off.

Robert :

Look at the pic above. Number 10 is the thermal fuse. The fuse is oblong and on the blower housing. Take the wires off of this fuse and tie them together somehow. Tape them off and then plug the dryer back in. Hold the door switch in and try the dryer. If it runs, replace that fuse.

Robert :

Does that sound like something you can do?

Customer :

i removed the panel on the back of the top part and have access to the wires. can i do it this way?

Robert :

No. You have to take the front panel off of the dryer. The fuses and heater are only accessible from that area.

Customer :

.ok

Robert :

I will be here if you need me.

Customer :

can't get the screws out. think a repairman is a better idea

Robert :

You do what makes you feel comfortable. I am just here to offer advice and assistance. If you can't get to it then that may be your only choice. I can almost guarantee you that the thermal fuse is your problem. If you change your mind just let me know.

Customer :

thanks.

Robert :

No problem. Make sure you click accept to close out the chat and have a great night. You will be able to come back to this question anytime via the link in your emial(possibly in the spam folder).