Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a black and decker 2.7 fridge. Model #BCFA27B. It worked

I have a black and decker 2.7 fridge. Model #BCFA27B. It worked fine last year, I have taken good care of it, stored it upright over the summer, and the motor isnt running. The inside of the fridge is not cold. The motor started to run when I plugged it it yesterday, but then stopped working for some reason. Power outlet is not the problem.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

If the compressor on the back of the unit stopped working then that means the relay/start control has failed on this unit.

Customer:

the compressor is on the back, so how do i fix this? or can I fix this?

Robert :

Unfortunately it is not servicable in the field so it will have to be sent in to do the repair. By the time you pay for the repair and the shipping, you could by 2 new units for less.

Customer:

I understand. So, I just have to buy a new one. Do you know of a small fridge that will last longer? I just bought this fridge last year.

Robert :

The small fridge market has been seized by a company call Haier. They manufacture all of the small units and sell them under branded names for more money. Some have different features but they are all very similar. Haier even made the Black and Decker unit you own.

Robert :

If you purchase a Haier unit for around 79 dollars you will be getting the same kind of unit and they usually last about 5 years. Some go longer.

Customer:

I see. So I should plan on buying a fridge every year or so. Darn. Any other advice you could offer?

Robert :

They work better when they are not taken out of service.

Robert :

Leave it plugged in if you can.

Customer:

Ah, so dont have it sit all summer then.

Robert :

Yeah. The aluminum lines corrode and block freon flow. This eventually kills the compressor.

Customer:

That makes sense. Thank you so much for all your help

Robert :

I have seen these units last 10+ years.

Robert :

You are welcome. Have a great day.