Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our 2006 Amana Electric Smoothtop Easy Touch Control 800 (model

Customer Question

Our 2006 Amana Electric Smoothtop Easy Touch Control 800 (model AER5845QAF) stove suddenly is working erratically. I hit "oven" and 350F but it would only heat up to 190 degrees... I could hear the "click" that it makes when heating, but wouldn't go over that. The broiler seems to heat up, all other functions seem to be working. After I heated the broiler up, I hit "cancel" then "oven" but it wouldn't go over 345 degrees, which must be where the broiler heated it up to.

Could it be a thermastat, and if so, is it relatively easy to replace? I thought I read where a controller board might need to be replaced, but surely there is a simple thermostat somewhere?

Terri
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the broil is still working, then it sounds like your bake element itself has gone bad. Below is a link to the bake element you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

To access the bake element, you'll need to unplug the oven or turn the breaker off. Then open the door and remove all the racks inside the oven. Remove the floor inside the oven and now you see the bake element. There are 2 screws mounting the element to the back wall so if you remove the 2 screws and pull the element out, you can replace it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We like your answer and will try it. We wondered if a one-hour power outage the night before could have affected the element?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
not the element it couldn't, but it could have shorted out the control board which would be the only other option if the broil element still works. You'll need a multimeter to check for continuity on the element to know for certain if the element is bad.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the oven in "cleaning mode" right now, does it use the same oven element, because cleaning seems to be working okay.

Where can I get a multimeter, at any hardware store?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no, the cleaning mode uses the broil element. And a multimeter costs more the the element so if you don't have one, just replace the element.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again. Will get a new element ordered. Have a good rest-of-the-day . Laughing - Terri
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
you do the same. Glad to help.