Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My Frigidaire refrigerator's icemaker is not working.

My Frigidaire refrigerator's ice maker is not making ice. When I lift the arm for ice making, water drains from the refrigerator onto the floor from below the refrigerator. The water dispenser on the front of the freezer works fine. The water filter was replaced two months ago and since then, the ice maker has not worked. I know that water flow is going to the front of the freezer. The ice maker will not make a cube of ice. I tried to thaw out the water line at the back of the freezer with a hair dryer and this clearly was not the problem. The Frigidaire Model no FRS26ZNH (Puresource Plus).

1. Checked the water lines at the back of the refrigerator. Made sure that water was flowing through the poly tubing.

2. Made sure that the water filter was properly installed.

3. Made sure that water was flowing from dispenser in front of freezer.

4. Removed ice maker to see if there were any noticeable mechanical problems.

5. Used a hair dryer to blow warm air on the water lines at the back of the freezer to be sure that the lines were not frozen. After completing this, no ice was made.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like your fill tube is frozen solid from the air that entered the system when the filter was replaced. Probably the best thing to do is check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve or check for a broken water line on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have water flowing to the water dispenser on the front of the freezer so the valve cannot be plugged on the back of the freezer. I already blew hot air on the back of the freezer (behind the icemaker) for 20 minutes with the hair dryer held in place. The air was so warm that it began to warp the plastic cover. There is no way that the water line back there could have remained frozen solid after the hair dryer thawing. I do not know the water line flow schematic nor how to see what valve could be plugged to the icemaker. The problem is "why does water drain from the fridg when the arm is up for making ice, but does not when the arm is down? I do not believe that this is a water flow problem but something else. Could the icemaker be frozen so that it will not call for ice?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. I am a Chemical Engineer and I work to solve problems all of the time. I do not know refrigerators and the water flow schematics are not available via the internet so I am at a loss. I do know how to look at things pragmatically and I need your expert help here. I have water flow to the dispenser. The ice maker will not make ice. The dispenser on the front will crush and dispense ice when filled with packaged ice. The water filter that was replaced is in the refrigerator portion of this side by side unit, not the freezer. The fact that it took 10 minutes to replace the water filter in the frig did not have any impact on the icemaker. The icemaker worked fine prior to the water filter warning light showing "red" indicating it needed replaced. The filter was not dirty at all. I was surprised why the light went red. It took several efforts to reset the system and get it to go to green and then allow water to flow through the system. However, the icemaker never began to make ice again. I suspect that something has prevented water from flowing to the icemaker but I am not sure. I have no idea what valve could be remaining closed or how water will leak from the frig if the icemaker arm is up, yet no ice is made in the icemaker.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you are absolutely sure the line is not plugged as suggested by the last expert then the only problem this can be is the valve.

Although the water dispenser is working on the front the valve is a dual valve (one valve for the ice maker and the other for the water dispenser, there is a sure fire way of finding out and making sure the water line is not plugged. Follow the directions below.

To figure out which pull the unit out from the wall and remove the lower panel in the back. Trace the line from the ice maker down the back side of the unit to the valve, Now pull the water line for the ice maker out of the valve and blow into the waterline.

If you are able to blow air into the waterline then the valve is bad and will need to be replaced.

If you cant blow air into the line then there is a ice blockage somewhere in the waterline. In this case you will need to locate the blockage and thaw the ice with a hair dryer.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a water flow schematic? Why? Because I have taken the bottom portion off of the frig and I cleaned out the lint that was covering the cardboard cover. I looked at the water valve on the bottom back right side and it looked fine. I took off the poly tubing and tried to blow air into them but most of them were empty of water. These are the lines that flow from the bottom back of the frig to the top left and right corners and/or vice versa. I believe that water flows from a valve up to the water filter in the refrig and then back down and then up to the water dispenser and to the icemaker. The question is what valve is bad? I cannot imagine any particulate plugging the valve because of the filtration system. I suspect that it would have to be an electronic valve that was sticking, does this make sense? If so, where is this valve? How do I get to it as there does not look to be any easy way to get to the water lines behind the upper part of the freezer from the freezer itself. How do I take apart the back of the freezer/refrig? Sorry, but I am confounded. If everything was visible, this would be an easier problem to diagnose. I will tip you for your efforts but I need information that will really help me to fix this problem (i.e. the exact location of the electronic valve, how I can see a frozen line supply as it is behind the back of the freezer plastic).
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a flow schematic but can tell you how it works,

Not all ice makers run through the filter, if this is the case waterline will come to the valve then directly up to the ice maker.

If the water line does run through the filter for the ice maker then the water will run to the filter then back to the 2 valves then to the ice maker.

You can figure out which valve is for the ice maker by following the waterline from the back of the freezer down the back to the valve.

If the valve is bad it has either been plugged up with calcium over a period of time or the electronic coil has shorted.

Ice makers are very simple systems with just 2 parts, the ice maker (this tells the valve when to open and close) and the valve.

You can also make sure that it's not the ice maker by pouring some water into the tray where the ice is made, if the ice cubes are made and pushed into the container and your sure the line is not plugged then replace the valve this will fix the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you please tell me how to take apart the back of the frig? Can you please tell me where exactly the water line could be frozen and how I can tell from the front of the frig? Is there anyway for me to look at the water line to the icemaker from the back of the frig? Where is the electronic valve? Is it in the bottom back right of the frig? Can I check the functioning of the electronic valve visibly by disconnecting the outlet line to the ice maker by kicking up the icemaker arm and then see if water flow is opened to the valve? These are my last questions. Thanks again.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok pull the unit out from the wall and take the lower panel off in the rear with a nut driver. You should see the valves to the right inside the compressor compartment.

If the line were frozen it would be somewhere between where the water line enters the rear of the freezer and the ice maker (inside the fill tube) You would disconnect the water line then pull the fill tube out from the back by twisting and pulling. There is really no other way to tell if it is plugged then pulling the water line out from the valve and blowing into it. If you cant blow into the line it's plugged.

The only real way to test the valve is to hook up a separate power cord direct to the valve and disconnect the line running to the ice maker, then see if the water flows when power is applied directly.

It really is a simple system, if you eliminate the line being plugged and there was not ice in the tray where the ice is made when it quit working then the valve is bad and needs to be replaced.
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.