Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

My whirlpool washer makes a loud knocking noise when agitating

My whirlpool washer makes a loud knocking noise when agitating and spinning. It sounds like a load is off balance and needs to be readjusted....but that is not the case. When the washer is off, I can hear the noise when I manually move the tub from side to side with my hand. Model # XXXXX XXXXX Look forward to hearing from you! Barb
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 3 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and thank you for using our service. I will be helping with all my 30 years of training and knowledge to help you

can you please recheck the model number for me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry.....I had it wrong

It is a GE Washer-Model WLRR5000GOWW, Serial ZL144968G

does it knock every time you turn the tub back and forth or just the agitator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It knocks when I push the empty tub from side to side, not in a circular motion!
ok ,, you need to replace the suspension rods on the side of the tub, part number WH16X0545 which you will need 4 and they cost about $12 each and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this a DIY or do I call a repairperson?
cant blame you if you want to try but really it a job for a repairman ,, sorry
i will be going off line in a couple minutes so if you have other questions please ask now and if not then please press the accept button for me so i may be paid ,, will be back on line in the morning ,, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hoe do I get to the suspension rods...from the top or bottom. If the top, how does it come up?

Where can I buy the part?

Is it ok to run the washer until I get it fixed?

you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you and it will be fine to use it until you get the parts, slide a putty knife under the front of the top about 3 inches in from outside edge, press the release and pull the front panel out at top and set off, remove the screws holding the top down and raise and then you can swap the parts, you will need 2 people to do it ,, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband is going to DIY....he wants to know if all 4 rods should be replaced or will he be able to determine somehow which of them are bad when he gets it apart?
some only has 2 and others has 4 so i would replace all of them to be sure its all took care of ,, he will know if it has 2 or 4 once he removes the front and raise the top
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Larry, sorry I wasn't able to get back to you yesterday. My husband took the washer apart and we found a loose plastic hose. He went online and discovered that it was the flood hose. After securing it with a new cable tie (the old one was at the bottom of the washer), we ran the washing machine....and...... NO KNOCKING!!!!!!

Thanks for you help, without your direction we wouldn't have known how to take the washer apart and figure out the problem! So glad it wasn't the suspension rods, that would have been a MUCH more difficult repair.

Barb

i'm glad the hose was the only problem and glad i could help ,,, thanks and have a great day
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service