Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello - GE refrigerator Model GSL25JFPA BS freezer not

Hello -

GE refrigerator Model GSL25JFPA BS freezer not working & fridge not cold enough.
I replaced the main board WR55X10942 based on my previous "Just Answer" technician.
I cut the #2 wire per the instructions for "Encoder Models" I have the rotary temp controls.

What is my next step?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Is there any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food? Any at all? Check real good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan -

You were actually my last just answer guy - I replaced the mainboard per your advice.

No there is no frost at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I tried to look up the question but can't find it, do you know if the compressor is running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - it looks like the compressor is running - the "black ball shaped part" ? its very hot on top. I noticed a lot of dust on the cylindrical bart below the freezer portion - is that the condensor?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes it is, is the fan next to the compressor running? If it's real hot either the fan has stopped or the condenser needs to be cleaned real bad, what is happening is the compressor is getting too hot and shuts off before it burns up and that's why it's not getting as cold as it should, can you clean the coils? It's best to unplug the refrigerator while cleaning them, if you have a coil brush that would be ideal, a coil brush you can get at any Lowe's or hardware store, you just go to the appliance section and ask for a coil brush for a refrigerator and they are only about eight dollars, clean the coils really good and get all that dust out of there,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fan is running -

We cleaned the condensor coils real good - and blew out with my air compressor - had to keep the shop vac running to catch all the dust.

I have a digital thermometer in the freezer side now - its reading 42 degrees with the freezer setting on 7.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
its comming down and thats good, give it overnight and it should be all set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK the temp is now 40 degreees.
What should the temp be in the freezer if I have the dial set at "7" after an overnight run?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
40 in the freezer ?set the dials at half way on both. the temp in the freezer should be between 0 and 8 degrees, the fridge around 37.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Morning -

The coldest temp in the freezer is 39 - the dial is set on 7
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Wow thats definitely not right. can you remove the back panel in the freezer behind the food and take a look at the frost pattern on the coils?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How is the back panel removed?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
There are screws in the top behind the light cover which are Phillips heads you need to remove those and then there are two 1/4" ones on the bottom part of the panel you need to remove, first you got a remove your food and the shelves, the panel you need to remove it is part number 214 on this diagram,we need to see what the Frost pattern looks like on the coils number 288 on the diagram
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK-

The only frost is on the lower portion of the copper tube on the left side about 2" up and about 2-3" on the lowest coil.

There also appears to be a red glowing heater on the bottom.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay this is in a defrost right now (thats the red glow) bad timing. You will have to wait about an hour and see then, just stick the panel back in for a bit, I want to see if the coils are frosting fully once it out of defrost.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK panel is back in I'll check again in an hour
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay talk then. I'll hang in there with you until we figure this out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK it's about an hour

The only frost is about 7" going up on the copper tube left side & about 2 inches on the right side lower coil.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Oh man that's not good, so the silver parts of the coil are not Frosted at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I just checked again -

The very lower coil has frost & the next coil up has about 3" of frost.

Maybe I should wait longer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The reason I'm having you check the Frost pattern is to see whether it is low on Freon, all of the coils should Frost in usually by now an hour later they should be already Frosted but if you want to wait for a few more hours check it again do that me know what it looks like then. In the meantime put the panel back on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK

The panel is back on - I'll give it 1 more hour.

If it is low on freon, can it be charged with one of the automobile freon kits?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately no it cannot be charged by one of the automotive Freon kits, a tap valve would have to be put in to charge this, you would need an HVAC service tech to do this for you at that point, let's hope that's not the case
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still no frost -

What's next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well unfortunately if it's not frosting you have a Freon leak and a lot of Freon has already leaked out, when this happens there's not enough Freon going through those coils to Frost all of them, when the Freon gets to the coils it is turn into a spray mist through the coils and when there's not enough Freon the coils will not Frost, at this point you would need somebody to come and find the leak fix it and then recharge the system, this needs to be done by an HVAC technician that's licensed to do it, they have very strict Freon laws now and you cannot recharge these without finding and fixing the leak, I wish I had better news but unfortunately this looks to be the case, sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any chance it could be a thermistor? I read something about that once.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
If the compressor is running which you can tell by: the refrigerator out and feeling it then it's not going to be a thermistor because the thermistor is a temperature sensor that tells the compressor to come on when the temperature rises, so if the compressor is running and this is not frosting it's not going to be a thermistor unfortunately
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.