Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician

my GE washer Model # WPRE6150KWT wont spin

Customer Question

my GE washer Model #: WPRE6150KWT
wont spin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.

Does the washer fill up and agitate but just not spin?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think it is intermittent. I know it doesn't spin and I removed the front cover to check the belt, which is fine, and to see if it would move, and it spins manually very smooth.

this morning it did agitate but now, my wife says it isn't

Ok so now the washer doesn't do anything? When it should be agitating or spinning does it sounds like its running or not?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the timer runs, it fills and drains, just no movement
Ok well that means you most likely have a bad motor. You would need to check the motors start winding for 110v with a volt meter. If the motor is getting 110v, its bad. If its not, the timer itself is bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well this morning, it did run through the agitation mode both washing and rinsing, but it took ahile. possibly sitting thorough the soak cycle. and it has been agitating recently jus not spinning. it is possible that my wife was impatient and didn't allow it to go through the wash cycle, but it definitely doesn't spin. yesterday, it did spin for a minute after I opened and closed the lid, but after that it didn't spin again.
Very interesting friend I would first check the lid switch then. It sits on the top right and could cause this issue. If that checks good or if you replace it and still have the same issue I would suspect the timer/control but you would need to make a voltage check to confirm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I check the lid switch? it clicks when I lift it, is that just the magnet ?
Yes, you would need to ohm it out with a volt meter it should have continuity in the closed position.