Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

My Kitchenaid dishwasher makes a slight humming noise when

My Kitchenaid dishwasher makes a slight humming noise when I try to run it and heats up full of steam but no water is running into the wash cycle like usual.
So just to clarify, the unit does not fill with water at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, thank you. I have never had this problem when pressing the start button. Usually within a minute I hear the water begin to fill/run and the cycle starts as normal. All I hear now when pressing start is a faint humming sound. No water.

The humming sound is the water valve to the unit trying to open. Have you verified that the water supply to the dishwasher is on? If it is, you would need the dishwasher water valve. Below is a link for a website that you can order the part from, it is item number 7.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Water supply to dishwasher is on and operable. So the dishwasher water valve needs to be replaced? How certain are you of this? Also, I don't see a link.

My fault, I forgot to send the link. I am fairly certain. If you start a cycle and just hear a hum and no water is entering, this tells me that power is going to the valve, but it is not opening to allow water in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I also now hear "gurggling" water sound next to the sink faucet in that 3" nub/cylinder that I think may be the overflow? Not sure if that would make a difference. I heard it for 30 seconds or so.
That is an air gap that stops water from draining back into the dishwasher. That has no effect on water fill. The gurgling was air escaping from it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I replaced water valve as instructed. Once the new one was installed I atttempted to run dishwasher. Unit began to fill with water for a few seconds, stopped and now has the same issue as before. I uninstalled the new valve, retraced my steps and reinstalled. Still nothing. Water supply line is working and sending water to the valve. Power is working as unit still makes humming sound without filling with water.

I do not want to incurr another $30 charge by asking follow up questions. Will I be charged? If so I do not wish to continue your service.

Disconnect the air gap at the sink, the "nub" at the sink. There could be a blockage in there causing water to siphon out. You will not be charged Again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jason. I disconnected the air gap at the sink along with the disposal hose and there was no blockage. I'm not sure if I should be able to blow through the dishwasher hose that connects to the air gap but I could not. I did not disconnect at the dishwasher as it appears to be in the rear/underneath of the unit. There is a little standing water in the unit. I tried to siphon it and got some water out. When I run the unit I just get the same "humming" sound and no water flow into it. Any suggestions?

Check the power going to the valve. When you start a cycle, you should have 115 volts going to the valve for two minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I check the power? Does that require a volt meter and if is there any instruction on where to place it at the water valve? Also checked the float in the bottom of the tub FYI. Doesn't appear to be stuck, raises and lowers no prob and I can hear the switch click as I move it.
You need a voltmeter and place it into the wire terminals that plug in the valve. Then turn the machine on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Showed 118 volts

That means that the valve is defective or pressure is dropping in the water supply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the valve is brand new as I replaced the old one. Are you thinking the new one may need to be replaced as well? If pressure is dropping what is the fix?

I know you replaced the valve, but if you have a constant 115 volts to it and it is not allowing water in then it must be defective. If you disconnect the water supply from the valve and place it in a bucket and turn it on, is the pressure good?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. I did that early on when replacing the valve. The supply line had no blockage and seemed to have adequate flow for what it does. So another valve perhaps?

I would think another valve. It would not be the first time that I have received a defective new part.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Decided to replace float switch. Unit fills now but does not begin wash cycle. Only humming sound. If I then cancel wash it drains properly. So fills, drains with no wash cycle.
That is strange because if that switch is bad, you shouldn't have gotten any power to the valve. If you hear a humming sound after there is water in the tub, that is the circulation motor trying to spin. Hate to tell you, but it sounds like a bad circulation pump/motor assembly.