Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

Our dishwasher soap dispenser wont disolve the soap. We use

Customer Question

Our dishwasher soap dispenser won't disolve the soap. We use the calgon formed soap with red ball. The ball disappears, but the soap doesn't. Can you give us some ideas where our problem might be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 2 years ago.

Bernard S. :

Hi nuo....,

Bernard S. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Bernard S. :

The problem that you are describing is more common than it used to be.

Bernard S. :

We only recommend using powder type dishwasher soap.

Bernard S. :

They dissolve better and generally give a better wash.

Bernard S. :

The newer soaps have been formulated differently than those from a couple of years ago.

Bernard S. :

We have also seen better results with the wash by adding a 1/2 cup of vinegar (especially if you have hard water).

Bernard S. :

When you use the powder trying using less than you think you need.

Bernard S. :

Using too much of the dishwasher soap a very common cause of problems also. The pre-defined balls don't let you adjust the amount of soap that is used.

Bernard S. :

There are dishwasher cleaners that you should use before trying the above remedies. The dishwasher likely has accumulated too much soap everywhere within the machine (inside parts that are not visible).

Bernard S. :

Please let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification.

Customer:

Do you recommend any specific dishwasher cleaners? Also, are the liquid soaps as good or better than the powders?

Bernard S. :

The liquids tend to gum up more. We really don't like them because of that.

Bernard S. :

As for the dishwasher cleaner, there are a number of different brands now on the market. We can't say that one has been reported to be better than another. They seem to work well. Believe it or not years ago we used "Tang" to clean them! That was before there were any. One I've seen do well was called "Bartender Friend" or something like that.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. We hope this works!

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances