william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

My Maytag washer was last serviced in 1986, after being in

Customer Question

My Maytag washer was last serviced in 1986, after being in storage for 5 years. I think I bought it in the early 70's. Today, the knob for setting the cycle and starting it has quit functioning. I can't push it in or out, but it turns freely. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jean Carpenter [email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like the timer has finally gone out. The only way to fix this would be to put a new one in it,but the problem maybe that this maybe dis-continued. If you want i could check this out for you.

Please press the accept button this is how im paid for helping you today. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please check--if the machine is too old to be repaired easily, I probably need to shop for a new one.
Thanks,
Jean Carpenter
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Good NEWS i found you a timer, can you tell me if your machine has the suds saver on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think so.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Ok there are 2 timers one with the suds saver and one without it. I will give you the place to order it from, i will be back okay? Thanks.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

This is it here.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/204889/1314?modelNumber=A408 Price is $150.70 its quite expensive but when you go to change this make sure you mark the wires or take a picture of how the wires are hooked to the timer. Make sure that the washer is unplugged also.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info. If it's that much, I think I will consider shopping for a new washer. However, if I decide to get the part, how would I do that? Can I contact you again? Can you supply it? Or give me contact info for ordering it?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
I gave you the contact for ordering this. You need to click on that blue link that i sent you. Yes you can contact me only on here though. If you need help in finding a new washer you can ask me to look for you.