william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I have a whirlpool duet sport. The door latch is locked and

I have a whirlpool duet sport. The door latch is locked and it will not reset or allow for the door to open. Is there a way to reset
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
May i have the model number please? Thanks. Is there still water in the machine?
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok if you dont have it. What 3 second release button did you press?
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

If you still need assistance please answer this question that i had asked.

What 3 second release button did you press?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
William. I am at work I will have to get that info later today.
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Ok I really dont need the model number. I can possibly give you some directions now that you can try when you do get home,then you can come back on here and tell me if it worked or not if they didnt then i will tell you how to open the machine up and get the door opened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that sounds great. What do I need to do
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but first i really need to know (what 3 second release button did you press?)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a button on the console that your to press for 3 seconds and I belive that it is supposed to reset and unlatch the door. Right now I have unplugged the unit. But when I plugged it in yesterday It powered up. but the spin indicator came on it showed 1 min left on the cycle. And that was all it would do. The unit is approx 3 years old.
Expert:  william replied 2 years ago.

OK, if there is still water in the machine the door will not open no matter what you have tried. What you pressed was the (end of cycle signal) That locks and unlocks the controls. Dont press that again unless the controls wont work for you. I want you to press the DRAIN/SPIN to remove any water that might be left in the machine and the washer door should unlock for you. If that dont work try this one, Is the ADD A GARMENT LIGHT ON? If so press the PAUSE/CANCEL once, the door should unlock. Another item,press the Pause/Cancel for 5 seconds then unplug for 5 minutes then plug back in. The last item is this unplug machine then take out the 2-3 screws that are at the very bottom of the toe kick panel then on the right hand side take your hand and put it up there and you should feel a cord grab it and pull it down then your door will unlock for you, while you are there you can check your drain pump filter, get some towels and lay under the screw cap you will see it then unscrew it and clean the filter this will cause the water not to drain all the way out and it wont open the door also. Try all of this when you get home and if your still having problems get back with me on this same post. Please do not open another question otherwise i will not get it. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Please press the accept button this is how im paid for helping you today. Thanks.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate