Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker 2.0 Microwave. The touch pad

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker 2.0 Microwave. The touch pad does is not working . I have unplugger the unit, waited 1 minute and plugged it back in. Still not functioning. 88:88 showing on the click display.

Hi, thanks for using If you cannot program anything for the keypad, it will likely need to be replaced. Often times, though, you can clean the ribbon connector from the keypad to the control with a pencil eraser. Sometimes using a hair dryer to heat the keypad also seems to restore function. You may try the hair dryer trick first, then the pencil eraser before replacing the keypad. Let me know what happens if you do try these tricks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I access the ribbon connector?

You will need to remove the upper grille and then a screw that holds the front panel in place. Once the screw is removed for the panel, you can pull the panel down and access the ribbon connector. The picture below shows the breakdown of the parts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I will give that a try. The hair dryer did not work. I assume if the ribbon cable/connector trick does not work it is time to get a new touch pad. Correct?

That is correct. If you post the rest of the model number, I can get you the part information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model number is XXXXX
Mfg Date. March 2006

Do you need anything else?

Nope, that's all. Yikes! That part is expensive and only available as the complete assembly! The link for it is sitting down?!

Control Assembly $337.59

May be time to go microwave goodness!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks... I think. Before I even got on line, I checked the price of a new unit. $615. So, I think I will have an authorized GE service guy do the repair, to be sure I get a 1 year warranty. Thanks for your help.

Probably not a bad idea. Sorry it was not a simple fix. Take care and enjoy the rest of your evening.